Odd LBA errors
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm
IFW has been failing recently with an LBA error:
[ 4/08/2012 2:00:49 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/08/2012 2:00:49 am] To: I:\Backup-120408.TBI
[ 4/08/2012 6:00:32 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173871441.
Now, I don't even know what an LBA is but I guess it is reporting an error
on C:. But what's odd is that when I run the back *manually* (rather than
via task-scheduler) I don't see any error [and indeed, I had win7 do a
diskcheck, reported no errors and I also used a different backup app, just
to check and it didn't report any errors, either.
This afternoon I ran it and got:
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:40 am] /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$ /savename:lastfullbackup /usevss /comp:10
/logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt /evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:41 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:41 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$" /v
/comp:10
[...]
[ 4/08/2012 1:17:58 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 4/08/2012 1:17:58 pm] Stop
This happened last week, too:
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:00 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:18 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:47 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:47 am] To: I:\Backup-120404-chg.TBI
[ 4/04/2012 6:51:23 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173871441.
[...]
And, again, when I saw the error I ran it manually:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$ /savename:lastfullbackup /usevss /comp:10
/logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt /evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$" /v
/comp:10
[...]
[ 4/04/2012 1:58:05 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 4/04/2012 1:58:05 pm] Stop
but then the next morning the error is back again:
4/05/2012 3:30:01 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:20 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:46 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:46 am] To: I:\Backup-120405-chg.TBI
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173875852.
Ignore all errors and continue?
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] INFO: Total Sectors:153586055 Total
Allocated:116770064
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 98
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Unable to read from device
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Stop
---------------------------------------------------------------------
After failing the same way on the 6th, I get something new, but similar on
the 7th:
4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:13 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] To: I:\Backup-120407-chg.TBI
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] INFO: Total Sectors:153586055 Total
Allocated:116770064
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] INFO: 87382112 Sector(s) backed up
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] Backup: Drive 0 (D:) User Volume (4E9) 25000 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] To: I:\Backup-120407-chg.TBI
[ 4/07/2012 3:53:33 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 225070549.
Is this telling me that there's a problem with my HD? Is there some
diagnostic I can run to find out [win7's 'disk check' doesn't report any
problem]. Tnx! /bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
[email protected] Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--
[ 4/08/2012 2:00:49 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/08/2012 2:00:49 am] To: I:\Backup-120408.TBI
[ 4/08/2012 6:00:32 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173871441.
Now, I don't even know what an LBA is but I guess it is reporting an error
on C:. But what's odd is that when I run the back *manually* (rather than
via task-scheduler) I don't see any error [and indeed, I had win7 do a
diskcheck, reported no errors and I also used a different backup app, just
to check and it didn't report any errors, either.
This afternoon I ran it and got:
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:40 am] /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$ /savename:lastfullbackup /usevss /comp:10
/logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt /evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:41 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/08/2012 6:36:41 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$" /v
/comp:10
[...]
[ 4/08/2012 1:17:58 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 4/08/2012 1:17:58 pm] Stop
This happened last week, too:
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:00 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:08 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:18 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:47 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/04/2012 3:30:47 am] To: I:\Backup-120404-chg.TBI
[ 4/04/2012 6:51:23 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173871441.
[...]
And, again, when I saw the error I ran it manually:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$ /savename:lastfullbackup /usevss /comp:10
/logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt /evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/04/2012 7:32:41 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /d:w0@0x3,0x4E9,0x42C /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$" /v
/comp:10
[...]
[ 4/04/2012 1:58:05 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 0
[ 4/04/2012 1:58:05 pm] Stop
but then the next morning the error is back again:
4/05/2012 3:30:01 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:08 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:20 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:46 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/05/2012 3:30:46 am] To: I:\Backup-120405-chg.TBI
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 173875852.
Ignore all errors and continue?
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] INFO: Total Sectors:153586055 Total
Allocated:116770064
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Operation Completed with Error Code 98
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Unable to read from device
[ 4/05/2012 6:41:14 am] Stop
---------------------------------------------------------------------
After failing the same way on the 6th, I get something new, but similar on
the 7th:
4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] /b /un /base:$~lastfullbackup$
/f:I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg /usevss /comp:10 /logfile:D:\ifwlog.txt
/evlogl:4 /v
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Image for Windows 2.61 (GUI)
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Starting ...
imagew /b /un /base:"$~lastfullbackup$" /f:"I:\Backup-$~YY$$~MM$$~DD$-chg"
/v /comp:10
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:01 am] Attempting to Create VSS Snapshot...
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:13 am] VSS Snapshot Created Successfully.
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] Backup: Drive 0 (C:) OS Partition (03) 74993 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] To: I:\Backup-120407-chg.TBI
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] INFO: Total Sectors:153586055 Total
Allocated:116770064
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] INFO: 87382112 Sector(s) backed up
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] Backup: Drive 0 (D:) User Volume (4E9) 25000 MiB
HPFS/NTFS
[ 4/07/2012 3:30:44 am] To: I:\Backup-120407-chg.TBI
[ 4/07/2012 3:53:33 am] A hard drive error occurred while reading 127
sectors from LBA 225070549.
Is this telling me that there's a problem with my HD? Is there some
diagnostic I can run to find out [win7's 'disk check' doesn't report any
problem]. Tnx! /bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
[email protected] Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--