Page 1 of 1

What do you guys use to backup photos?

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2025 3:46 am
by OtiliaBecker
Long time lurker here, never posted before.

What services do you guys use to backup photos on your devices? I have been using Google but almost every week I have to delete something to create more space, which defeats the whole purpose of backups. I am reluctant to go for more paid space because, what if one time I don't pay?grow a garden

I am in initial stages of building a home server, and I want to come up with a plan first.

Which software is best for backing up photos? I need something simple (my entire family will use it) and reliable.

Update: Thanks all, your tips have been genuinely helpful. I've learnt a ton.

Re: What do you guys use to backup photos?

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2025 6:42 am
by Brian K
OtiliaBecker,

I use Robocopy. It's free. Each computer can backup to the server over the network. Each computer can have a script for auto backup.

Re: What do you guys use to backup photos?

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2025 7:48 pm
by n8chavez
Robocopy is very good, as Brian K mentioned. I prefer rclone, where you just set up a local directory rather than a cloud-based one. New features are always being added to rclone, whereas Robocopy have been feature-locked for a very long time.

Re: What do you guys use to backup photos?

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2025 8:16 am
by Brian K
I also use IFW backups for data. Create an appropriately sized partition for your photos and send backups to the server. Differential or incremental backups.
Sometimes this can be faster than Robocopy.