BootIt Options
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2025 12:31 pm
I'm a long time user who, up until now, never spent "quality time"
exploring the myriad of options contained in BootIt. So after a few days of tinkering with TeraBytes BootIt menu recently, I have some questions:
(1) In the "Working with Partitions" dialog, I got a warning that "Invalid Head and SPT values exist in the BPB. Fixit?" even though my Windows and Linux partitions booted fine. What causes this error and what could have happened had I chosen NOT to fix it?
(2) Also in the "Working with Partitions" dialog, Can the various GPT partitions be assigned more descriptive (or new names if none exist) and do they show up within the OS?
(3) There are three different options for installing BootIt and in the past I have always chosen the defaults, is there any advantage to moving boot files to a specific directory, especially now that I have recently noticed that, when Installing Linux, it defaults to putting its boot files on my larger second physical drive.
(4) I hate that Windows takes up unnecessary disk space installing a Recovery Partition, especially since I use IFW to imaging my drives and, therefore, I don't need a "Recovery Partition". But short of setting up partitions in advance with an autounattend.xml file, is there a way to script the deletion of the recovery partition with IFW but keep the 16MB Microesoft Reserve Partition and expand the EFI partition from 200MB to something larger after I install Windows?
(4) Finally, following up on @Alfrristian's question: can BootIt be used to change the PHYSICAL drive number initially assigned by the BIOS after an operating system has been installed since NVME drives are not recognized sequentially like SSD drives?
Thanks in advance for your time.
(1) In the "Working with Partitions" dialog, I got a warning that "Invalid Head and SPT values exist in the BPB. Fixit?" even though my Windows and Linux partitions booted fine. What causes this error and what could have happened had I chosen NOT to fix it?
(2) Also in the "Working with Partitions" dialog, Can the various GPT partitions be assigned more descriptive (or new names if none exist) and do they show up within the OS?
(3) There are three different options for installing BootIt and in the past I have always chosen the defaults, is there any advantage to moving boot files to a specific directory, especially now that I have recently noticed that, when Installing Linux, it defaults to putting its boot files on my larger second physical drive.
(4) I hate that Windows takes up unnecessary disk space installing a Recovery Partition, especially since I use IFW to imaging my drives and, therefore, I don't need a "Recovery Partition". But short of setting up partitions in advance with an autounattend.xml file, is there a way to script the deletion of the recovery partition with IFW but keep the 16MB Microesoft Reserve Partition and expand the EFI partition from 200MB to something larger after I install Windows?
(4) Finally, following up on @Alfrristian's question: can BootIt be used to change the PHYSICAL drive number initially assigned by the BIOS after an operating system has been installed since NVME drives are not recognized sequentially like SSD drives?
Thanks in advance for your time.