Page 1 of 4
can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2025 6:41 pm
by Logman
I have Ubuntu 22 running ok but every time I try the in-place upgrade to 24.04 it fails with various errors so thought I would install it fresh to a new partition.
The knowledge base article for Ubuntu 22 seems outdated for 24.04 as I tried following the instructions but the new Ubuntu install directions are different.
I tried using the old TeraByte install directions but it failed miserably and screwed up my whole system and took me hrs to recover.
Installing Ubuntu 24.04 worked but it changed the BIBM Boot Manager and I think it installed Grub instead.
All I could do was boot Ubuntu but the old Boot Manager was gone and I couldn't figure out how to recover.
Good thing I had lots of backups to work with !
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2025 6:03 pm
by Logman
Can anyone help with my question on how to install Ubuntu 24.03 ?
I have been trying again and can't get by the installation screen to choose the partition.
It shows the right drive which is a 250GB SSD, I created 1 partition of 100GBfor the install of Ubuntu and the rest is free space.
I did not format the partition as per the BIBM instructions, and did try to boot from it like BIBM says.
I chose the manual install option ( there is no "something else " option )
When Ubuntu install gets to the partition I created, it shows the partition along with the free space one.
I can't pick the the partition I want by clicking the checkmark.
This is where I am stuck now.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2025 8:55 pm
by TeraByte Support
when installing Linux to a the (E)MBR type partitioned drive, the concept is always the same, it's the same for all version although the UI may be different. The key is to have GRUB installed to the boot or root partition and not the drive itself or it will overwrite the part of the drive that has the EMBR. That's pretty much it, the installer should have an option about that.
If you're not seeing an option for that, you may have to use an advanced install option in the Linux installer.
Of course when using unlimited mode the setting up the boot item first, attempting to boot from it is also important so that you'd be installing to an existing partition (that's also the one where you want GRUB installed).
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2025 10:57 pm
by Logman
Thanks for that, I'll try again when I can.
I didn't mention that the drive is a 2GB SSD and there is not going to be anything else on it other than another OS, Ubuntu Studio hopefully.
I am using unlimited mode because my main drive has 5 OS's on it including the BIBM Boot Manager.
I'm assuming that setting doesn't have to be changed even on another drive with only 2 partitions.
You say : The key is to have GRUB installed to the boot or root partition and not the drive itself or it will overwrite the part of the drive that has the EMBR.
I don't really understand that, is the boot or root partition not on the drive itself ?
I must be getting too old for all this now as yrs ago all this was actually fun to mess with, not so much now

Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2025 5:10 pm
by Logman
I give up, still can't install Ubuntu.
Disappointing after using BIBM for years.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2025 8:45 pm
by Brian K
Logman,
Were you able to install Ubuntu but it wouldn't boot? Did you have Swap selected in the Boot Item?
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2025 12:53 am
by Logman
Hi Brian, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
No, I have not been able to install Ubuntu correctly.
When I did install it, it screwed the whole system up and all I could run was Ubuntu, it disabled BIBM and so I could not run any other OS's.
I did not have Swap selected as the last time I installed Ubuntu it didn't require a swap partition.
I do have a running older version of Ubuntu but cannot upgrade it, lots of errors so I figured it would be easier to just install a new version to another HD.
I have a Sata HD that I was going to use for a fresh install but I am obviously doing something wrong as I can't do it.
What happens is that when I go to do the install, the HD is split into 2 partitions, SDA1 and SDA2.
I get to the installation screen and pick SDA1 for the install but it always wants to use SDA2, it puts a check mark on it and I can't choose SDA1.
If I let it choose SDA2 then I can get to the next install screen but it screws up like I said.
I did choose to let it format the partition, and chose / for the boot part.
At one point it did get as far as to installing Ubuntu but like I said above it BIBM no longer worked and it took me a few hrs to recover everything.
BIBM is located on the first HD- HD0 along with Windows 10, Linux Mint, Ubuntu and a Win10 DAW partitition.
HD1 is the other Sata HD. I have other Nvme drives as well but just want to use HD1 for the new install.
I have tried following the knowledgebase article for the installation but the newest Ubuntu, 24. is different than the old one in that there is no "other" option, just a manual one so that's what I have been working with.
Like I said, I'm sure it is pilot error but haven't a clue what is going wrong and I am getting extremely frustrated.
Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2025 1:54 am
by Brian K
Paul,
I did not have Swap selected as the last time I installed Ubuntu it didn't require a swap partition.
No, I wasn't referring to a Swap partition. As Ubuntu was being installed to HD1 and not HD0, I wondered whether you should use the Swap item in Boot Edit.
Standby. I'll see if I can do the exercise in a MBR computer.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2025 4:54 am
by Brian K
Ubuntu UFDs wouldn't boot in my two MBR computers. I had to use Mint.
These install instructions are based on...
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... es-ubuntu/
In BIBM delete your Ubuntu partition on HD1. Create another Linux Native partition in the Free Space. Make it a different size from your Data partition so you can recognize it in the Linux install. My Linux partition was 20000 MiB. If you don't have a Data partition ignore the Data partition comments.
Open Boot Edit. Click Add
Identity Ubuntu
HD1
Boot, select the Ubuntu partition
In MBR Details, select HD O, select )0 or any slot.
Fill, select the Data partition, don't select any more partitions
Don't tick other boxes in the Boot Item.
Press F10, press F10 again. This closes all windows
click Resume, select the Ubuntu item
plug in your UFD
click Boot
you will see a message about The Partition is not bootable! Don't click OK.
Press ctrl-alt-del
The computer reboots. Press the correct key to boot the Ubuntu UFD. Have your network cable connected.
My Mint install was... (your Ubuntu should be similar)
On the desktop click Install Linux Mint
Language
Keyboard
Don't install codecs
Click Something Else (otherwise choose Manual Install)
Installation type
select /dev/sdb1 (make sure it's the Linux partition by checking the partition size). It should be the only partition on /dev/sdb
click Change
Use as Ext4 journaling file system
tick the Format box
Mount Point /
click OK
For Device for Boot Loader installation, select the Linux partition, not the drive. Choose /dev/sdb1 (the Ubuntu partition)
Ignore the message about EFI system partition not found
Install now. Continue
etc
The computer will reboot to Ubuntu or BootIt.
In BIBM , boot Ubuntu. (My Mint Boot Item didn't need the Swap option. Try Swap if your Ubuntu doesn't boot)
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2025 6:29 am
by Logman
Thanks so much for the instructions Brian, I will try it tomorrow or Wed ( have to go out ) and hopefully I can install it.
Sure seems convoluted compared to 10 yrs ago, I don't remember it being this involved, no wonder I was having problems.
Thanks so much for taking the time, I really appreciate it !