recover from overwritten mbr after win10 install
recover from overwritten mbr after win10 install
I have a 4 bootit selections setup on an ssd and need to install win10 to one of the 100gb partitions. A few years ago I had my mbr overwritten and I can't for the life of me remember how to recover. I'm just getting too old I guess and my memory has a few dead spots. What are the steps to recover if I dork my system mbr? I appreciate any advice.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: recover from overwritten mbr after win10 install
best thing to do is to have an image backup.
Re: recover from overwritten mbr after win10 install
Well shoot. I shoulda thought of that. Has anyone had any problems installing a fresh windows 10 vis a vis the boot record in bootitbm 1.48? The time I had an issue I was using an earlier version.
Edit...
Well no surprise to me I got a "problems found in drive partitions" error when I tried to mage the drive. Then I tried to backup the embrm partition but it wouldn't find my thumb drive. I do have an acronis true image drive backup. I'd like to attach couple of pics showing the state of my ssd. My nephew built it a few years ago while I was i n the hospital. He wasn't familiar with bootit and I've no idea how he got it in this state. But it worked so I've just dealt with it. So how can I post a pic of my drive partitions you guys can look at. I'll make some notes to go with it.
Last edited by olinbr99 on Thu Oct 02, 2025 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: recover from overwritten mbr after win10 install
There is a sample of installing Windows at https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
If you have issues with EMBR / MBR mismatch, in partition work, you have to delete the ones that don't belong. You'd have to use a combination of Properties, edit file, resize (just to run the check phase). Once done, you'd probably want to enable limit primaries.
If you have issues with EMBR / MBR mismatch, in partition work, you have to delete the ones that don't belong. You'd have to use a combination of Properties, edit file, resize (just to run the check phase). Once done, you'd probably want to enable limit primaries.