Restore Windows system partition to USB drive fails
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2025 10:12 pm
I want to restore a Windows system partition to a USB drive for the purpose of copying files as TBIView is too slow for this purpose (many thousands of smallish files), and I keep getting an error immediately when I begin the restore. This happens in the TBWinRE environment as well as inside of Windows. In the past, I've used TBWinRE to restore system images without problem, but that was to the actual system drive in the target computer, not a USB drive. I'm using default options. Here's the IFW.LOG transcript from IFW 4.07 in Windows 11, but again, the same thing happens in TBWinRE (the Bitlockered volume was unlocked, and I've done this many times for system drives as explained earlier):
09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] Restoring: Basic data partition Partition (03) 930.42 GiB NTFS
[09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] To: Drive 7 (USB) (G:) Basic data partition Partition (02) 931.5 GiB Bitlocker
[09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] Source File: Q:\Images\backup-w3-2025-09-04-125341-chg.TBI
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] A hard drive error occurred when writing 920 sectors to LBA 337296.
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] Do not abort if you want to ignore these errors.
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM]
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] Do you want to abort the operation?
[09/07/2025 04:13:38 PM] Are you sure you want to cancel?
[09/07/2025 04:13:39 PM] The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Elapsed 0:00:00:25
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Bad Sectors - Reading:0 Writing:185 (1)
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Operation Completed with Error Code 1 (Cancel)
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Stop
I verified the same thing happens with another image file for a different PC with a 250 GiB boot drive, but I was able to restore the WinRE partition, so there's something different about the system partition.
09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] Restoring: Basic data partition Partition (03) 930.42 GiB NTFS
[09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] To: Drive 7 (USB) (G:) Basic data partition Partition (02) 931.5 GiB Bitlocker
[09/07/2025 04:13:17 PM] Source File: Q:\Images\backup-w3-2025-09-04-125341-chg.TBI
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] A hard drive error occurred when writing 920 sectors to LBA 337296.
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] Do not abort if you want to ignore these errors.
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM]
[09/07/2025 04:13:18 PM] Do you want to abort the operation?
[09/07/2025 04:13:38 PM] Are you sure you want to cancel?
[09/07/2025 04:13:39 PM] The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Elapsed 0:00:00:25
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Bad Sectors - Reading:0 Writing:185 (1)
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Operation Completed with Error Code 1 (Cancel)
[09/07/2025 04:13:42 PM] Stop
I verified the same thing happens with another image file for a different PC with a 250 GiB boot drive, but I was able to restore the WinRE partition, so there's something different about the system partition.