Pldisk -- Cannot write to Cache -- Incorrect Manual
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm
Going to try and explain this as best as possible...
This is the backup command we are using:
/b /uy /um /pldisk /pldcs:2048 /max:50GiB /email:*****SERVERNAME /d:w4@0x1 /v /vb
According to the IFW Manual, found here http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... manual.pdf...and maybe I am reading this wrong but it says:
"/pldisk | PHYLockUseDisk=1
Use this option to instruct Image for Windows to attempt to use disk-based storage for the PHYLock cache with a size specified by the /pldcs parameter.
Using a value of 0 will disable this option (e.g. /pldisk:0).
Default if omitted: This option will be enabled."
If in my backup command I use "/pldisk" I receive the following error:
[ 3/21/2012 12:01:47 am] PHYLock Error 0002h [ 3/21/2012 12:01:47 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
If you research "0002h" error you receive this: (website here http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=551)
"A larger RAM Cache is needed. Increase the size of the RAM Cache Size (KB) option. The default size is 8192KB (8MB). It's recommended to increase the size by 1024KB - 2048KB (1MB - 2MB) at a time to see if it resolves the problem. For example, try an increase from 8192 to 10240. Do not use a value below 2048 for this setting. Also, see the note below. Additionally, if you have a Norton product installed, see PHYLock Errors when Norton LiveUpdate Runs."
This would be incorrect, if I am using "/pldisk" I should receive a error related to disk cache size NOT ram cache size.
Interestingly,
If I run my command again with "/pldisk:0" I receive the following error:
[ 3/22/2012 8:38:49 am] PHYLock Error 0003h [ 3/22/2012 8:38:49 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
This is the error I expect to see when using "/pldisk" as according to the manual it would not be disabled. The error code for "0003h" says this:
"PHYLock Error 0003h - A larger Disk Cache is needed. Increase the size of the Disk Cache Size (MB) option. The default size is 600MB. It's recommended to increase the size by 512MB at a time to see if it resolves the problem. For example, try an increase from 600 to 1112. Also, see the note below."
Now this is the error I would expect to receive: given the manual tells me that using ":0" will disable the option of disk cache but clearly if I do not add :0 to the end then I receive a RAM cache error which should only appear when using "/pldisk:0" according to the manual.
So basically, I am confused as to what is really going on here...We receive the error to "Please increase the cache size in settings" but since we are using a command line then how do we go about increasing the cache size. Not to mention which options do we really use to set DISK cache and not RAM cache? is it "/pldisk:0" or "/pldisk." Also which is recommended RAM or Disk?
This is the backup command we are using:
/b /uy /um /pldisk /pldcs:2048 /max:50GiB /email:*****SERVERNAME /d:w4@0x1 /v /vb
According to the IFW Manual, found here http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... manual.pdf...and maybe I am reading this wrong but it says:
"/pldisk | PHYLockUseDisk=1
Use this option to instruct Image for Windows to attempt to use disk-based storage for the PHYLock cache with a size specified by the /pldcs parameter.
Using a value of 0 will disable this option (e.g. /pldisk:0).
Default if omitted: This option will be enabled."
If in my backup command I use "/pldisk" I receive the following error:
[ 3/21/2012 12:01:47 am] PHYLock Error 0002h [ 3/21/2012 12:01:47 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
If you research "0002h" error you receive this: (website here http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=551)
"A larger RAM Cache is needed. Increase the size of the RAM Cache Size (KB) option. The default size is 8192KB (8MB). It's recommended to increase the size by 1024KB - 2048KB (1MB - 2MB) at a time to see if it resolves the problem. For example, try an increase from 8192 to 10240. Do not use a value below 2048 for this setting. Also, see the note below. Additionally, if you have a Norton product installed, see PHYLock Errors when Norton LiveUpdate Runs."
This would be incorrect, if I am using "/pldisk" I should receive a error related to disk cache size NOT ram cache size.
Interestingly,
If I run my command again with "/pldisk:0" I receive the following error:
[ 3/22/2012 8:38:49 am] PHYLock Error 0003h [ 3/22/2012 8:38:49 am] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
This is the error I expect to see when using "/pldisk" as according to the manual it would not be disabled. The error code for "0003h" says this:
"PHYLock Error 0003h - A larger Disk Cache is needed. Increase the size of the Disk Cache Size (MB) option. The default size is 600MB. It's recommended to increase the size by 512MB at a time to see if it resolves the problem. For example, try an increase from 600 to 1112. Also, see the note below."
Now this is the error I would expect to receive: given the manual tells me that using ":0" will disable the option of disk cache but clearly if I do not add :0 to the end then I receive a RAM cache error which should only appear when using "/pldisk:0" according to the manual.
So basically, I am confused as to what is really going on here...We receive the error to "Please increase the cache size in settings" but since we are using a command line then how do we go about increasing the cache size. Not to mention which options do we really use to set DISK cache and not RAM cache? is it "/pldisk:0" or "/pldisk." Also which is recommended RAM or Disk?