Page 1 of 1
Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:13 pm
by zzz
I have been using IFL 3.64 to make images of Linux Mint - and sometimes Windows 10 or 11.
All versions of IFL 3.** have worked perfectly and been very useful.
I would have to pay to get IFL version 4.
There is a 50% discount offered - so twenty quid instead of forty.
I am not complaining about the cost.
But simply wondering whether I can stick to using 3.64 for the rest of my life.
For how long will 3.64 continue to work?
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:22 pm
by ZebC
I was wondering about the same... but my discount was 75% so I just bought upgrade. For now 3.64 version is as useful as 4.x, but as time passes, new bugs emerges and/or Microsoft changes things in Windows, the gap between new and old versions will be wider and wider. Not to mention of new features and security fixes.
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:23 pm
by Fracso
IFL 3.64 does not work with Secure Boot enabled.
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:14 am
by zzz
Thanks Fracso I tried it on a Windows 10 laptop with secure boot enabled in the UEFI BIOS and it would not boot IFL 3.64.
I have now bitten the bullet and paid £20.77 for IFL 4.01.
Now to see if that works on the aforementioned laptop.
Fingers crossed!
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:04 am
by zzz
And it did work. Excellent!
NB makedisk.exe works using HIRENSBOOTCD if there isn't a Windows machine available.
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2025 7:00 am
by zzz
I have updated to 4.04 and that works on all everything except one very old BIOS laptop for which I have to use 3.64.
Can I stick with 4.04 until I buy version 5?
Re: Do I really need to upgrade Image For Linux?
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2025 2:44 pm
by TeraByte Support
you can use whatever version you want, but only the latest version is supported. Minor updates like from 4.04 to 4.08 are free.