Move an OS partition from BootIt to its own drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Renaissance 2K

Move an OS partition from BootIt to its own drive

Post by Renaissance 2K »

Hello, everyone.

I've been using BootIt on my Pentium III PC for a few years now to run MS-DOS/Windows 3.1, Windows 98, and Windows XP partitions on the same PC. I'm changing my hardware configuration a bit, and I want to move my Windows XP installation from the BootIt drive to its own self-driving partition on a standalone drive.

I used a 3rd party image backup on a second PC to copy the Windows XP partition from the BootIt drive to the new drive. I'm only restoring and extending the Windows XP partition; I'm not copying the BootIt partition or anything else from the source drive.

Despite that, when I try to boot from the new Windows XP drive, I get an error after POST saying "Unable to find BootIt partition" and cannot proceed further.

What do I need to do to prevent this drive/partition from looking for BootIt on boot? I don't see an EFI directory on the partition that I can delete, and other than the main Windows XP partition, there doesn't appear to be anything else on the drive, though the OS partition is offset by 1024.

Thanks.
TeraByte Support

Re: Move an OS partition from BootIt to its own drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

If you want to boot from it through BootIt, just change the boot configuration to use the "swap" option (you may have to use fix swap in settings).

If you want to boot straight to xp, you can copy it over in Partition Work then on the target drive click view mbr, std mbr, ensure xp is active; or use our image programs and use the install standard mbr option along with set active.