Boot from USB drive?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TeraByte Support

Re: Boot from USB drive?

Post by TeraByte Support »

Have you run USBBOOT.TBS script on the windows partition.

Also not sure why you'd cut off the disk layout section.
tyee

Post by tyee »

No I haven't tried the script on C:

Here is the disk management screen

tyee

Post by tyee »

I tried to wipe the USB F: before doing the copy again but I couldn't do anything in the right click menu except delete the main partition. The efi system and recovery partitions had no right click option. Just wondering if something was left behind from previous clone. I wouldn't think so because the clone should re-write over everything supposedly.
tyee

Post by tyee »

I'm looking in my event viewer and see a warning about disk signatures collision. Today and yesterday also. My clone was disk5 yesterday and then changed to disk2 today after changing usb ports.

TeraByte Support

You'd run USBBOOT.TBS against the copy on the USB drive.

If you use simple operations "copy" the GUID's should all be different. You can see the GUIDs in a partinfo output (utilities button), or in IFW details when drive selected. You can do it before rebooting to be sure.

If you don't use simple operations copy, you need to use the option to change the disk signatures (presume would do entire drive and not partition by partition).
tyee

Post by tyee »

Here is the partinfo. Looks like they are all different. Yes, I did run the utility on the cloned drive and used Simple method.
I did not format the clone first. Could old info still be on it or would the Simple method just overwrite everything?

TeraByte Support

That's good, so you run usbboot.tbs script against the usb drive version.

If it boots something else, you'd want look at the bcd entry in bcd edit in partition work in BootIt (or partwork in IFL GUI if you have BootIt Key) to see what it's setup to boot. See https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... bootit-bm/

Also drive letters may not be as expected.
tyee

Post by tyee »

I just looked at Admin Events again and I'm still getting that error of "same disk identifiers".

TeraByte Support

They look different to me, unplug it, plug it back in. The GUIDs should match what they were before (confirm that), if that message shows up then it's one of a couple things:

"Multiple paths to the same physical disk device are available. But Microsoft Multipath I/O (MPIO) isn't enabled. In this situation, the device is exposed to the system by all paths that are available. It causes the same device ID data (such as Device Serial Number, Vendor ID, Product ID, and so on) to be exposed multiple times."

Or if your drive is implemented as UAS, could be related to answer found searching internet:

"There appears to be no solution at this stage. The most informative research I've seen is here where a Seagate engineer is quoted:

The issue seems to be related to BOT vs UAS. On new machines with UAS you get the same Unique ID, it appears to be handled by UPnP. There doesn't appear to be anything we can do about it. It appears to have something to do with the UAS driver as this does not happen when the same drives are connected via BOT. We would like to advise reaching out to Microsoft as well because this appears to be how the host bus handles Bulk Only Transport (BOT) and USB Attached SCSI (UAS) in Windows. The issue is not seen when connected to a host via BOT and is only seen when connected via UAS. So it appears to be dependent on the hosts bus and some underlying logic of the bus in Windows. It is something that Seagate cannot control"

But none of this has to do with booting from USB drive. For that, copy simple operations, run usbboot.tbs on the copy, then if issue booting wrong drive, look at bcdedit (don't fully expect C: to be boot drive)...
tyee

Post by tyee »

GUID doesn't seem to be the disk id. See image, but they are still different.

Code: Select all

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online         1863 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 1    Online          931 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 2    Online           14 TB      0 B        *
  Disk 3    Online          238 GB      0 B
  Disk 4    Online           14 TB      0 B        *
  Disk 5    Online          465 GB      0 B        *

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.