Boot from USB drive?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tyee

Boot from USB drive?

Post by tyee »

Just updated to the latest version and made a copy of my m.2 C drive to an external USB SSD. I used the option to change the disk signature so a collision would not occur. I checked in disk management to make sure the copy is online and it is. Now the question is can I just reboot then go into the BIOS and change the boot drive to the new copy? I thought I read on Wilderssecurity recently that someone tried it and it didn't work. Should it work?

On my system, the C: is an M.2 drive and the PC is on a table by the wall where it's difficult to access the M.2 drive to change it out or replace it so booting from a plugged in USB drive is perfect for me.
TeraByte Support

Re: Boot from USB drive?

Post by TeraByte Support »

You may have to run the USBBOOT.TBS script against it.
tyee

Post by tyee »

I just searched my PC and I have the 2014 version of it. I guess I unselected something today after installing the current version, yes? Should I run the installer again to pick it up?
TeraByte Support

you'd want to use the latest version.
tyee

Post by tyee »

OK, I made the clone and it won't boot. I would like to learn how to fix this manually. After reading lots on tenforums site I have notes to totally replace the system hidden boot partition but is that really necessary?

Here is what I did after cloning -

Ran "bcdboot F:\windows /d /addlast - this adds the clone (F:) to the OS selection menu at boot time.

Rebooted and got to the menu choices, they were both there. Selected my main system first to make sure it booted ok still and it did.
Rebooted and selected the USB clone and I got "inacessible" error. My external USB port hub led's were not lit up so I rebooted after moving the USB clone to a front panel port which should have power at all times from the main board. This failed again with the error stating I needed recovery tools. The PC then shut down automatically after a timeout but it did have a few options for me to select from but I didn't.

Do you know what's wrong? I could run this command - bcdboot c:\windows /s Z: /UEFI - after I give the hidden system partition a drive letter using diskpart. What do you think?

Another idea just hit me. Could it be due to the signature being changed during the cloning? This prevents collisions but I guess it may prevent booting because the clone may have info specifying the original disk signature?
TeraByte Support

You would copy in simple operations mode, then run usbboot.tbs script on it. Or if using traditional mode, copy and ensure update boot partition is set, but probably a good idea to also change disk id/sig option. Then again. run usbboot.tbs script.
tyee

Post by tyee »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
tyee

Post by tyee »

Looks like update boot partition is not taking -

TeraByte Support

if there is no option on the restore screen then it's automatic. Your best bet is to use simple operations where everything is done for you, then run usbboot.tbs script against that windows install.
tyee

Post by tyee »

OK, I used simple operation and ran the script on the USB drive. Rebooted into the BIOS and selected USB hard drive for first boot. It looks like it didn't work. Here is the Disk Management screen after that boot that I'm currently typing on - F: is the USB drive that should have booted. Do I have to add this new drive to the BCD or did your script try to do it. I only see my C: in msconfig.

Just ran across this note - Before you get started installing Windows 10, be sure that you disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot in your UEFI firmware settings. Some motherboards do not support booting from a USB flash drive with these enabled. I don't know if I have it on. Do you agree it could affect my results?

Last edited by tyee on Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.