I'd like to get rid of the 'restored' flags

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
AndySW

I'd like to get rid of the 'restored' flags

Post by AndySW »

Firstly, this is my first post, after using Image for Windows for about 15 years. Excellent program, excellent support, and this is one excellent website.

That said, I did a 'restore' back to my main drive, and now (for the past several years)it is showing the 'restored' label on the drives when I open Image 4 Windows, and I'm sick of it.

i.e., label in Image For Windows: Restored (500 Mib) NTFS (01)

I'd really like to get ride of those flags, have tried diskpart and a few other methods, without positive result.

Could some one please tell me how to remove those flags. Thanks a GB!
Andy
TeraByte Support

Re: I'd like to get rid of the 'restored' flags

Post by TeraByte Support »

Change the volume label on the drive.
AndySW

Post by AndySW »

That changes the label on the DISK, but not the partitions. Thanks, though.
Screenshot_TB_Image4Win_shot.jpg
Screenshot_TB_Image4Win_shot.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
What am I missing here?
TeraByte Support

Are you using v3.x? By default the volume label is used unless it can't get it or you turn off that option, if not volume label it's the label on the partition (EMBR/GPT). To change that you can use TBOSDT as administrator.

set part name 0 1 "My Label"
divermind

Post by divermind »

Windows File Explorer:
Open File Explorer and navigate to the root of the drive.
Right-click on the drive and select "Properties."
Go to the "General" tab, and you should see a field for the drive label. Change it to your preferred label and click "Apply" or "OK."
Command Prompt (CMD):
Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
Use the label command to change the drive label. For example: label C: NewLabel
Replace "C:" with the appropriate drive letter and "NewLabel" with your preferred label.
Diskpart:
Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
Type diskpart and press Enter.
Use the following commands: list volume
select volume X
label=NewLabel
Replace "X" with the volume number of your drive and "NewLabel" with your preferred label.
Third-Party Tools:
There are third-party tools that allow you to change drive labels. Be cautious and use reputable software.
Some disk management tools may offer more advanced options for changing drive labels.
Registry Editor (Caution):
Open the Registry Editor (regedit) as an administrator.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons.
Check for any entries related to the drive label and modify or delete them (be cautious when editing the registry).
AndySW

Post by AndySW »

Thanks for all that work, I appreciate it.

I have tried each and all of the methods you pointed out prior to posting the initial inquiry.

In Explorer: Changing label is something I do on-going, swapping images daily almost, and labelling them for the position they are in. Simply changing the drive 'label' in explorer was the first thing tried: can change the name, but that name is not the "restored' label carried and propagated by Drive Image for Windows upon restoring a drive.

Same with Disk Management: no problems changing the name of the drive (label) or the drive letter, done sometimes 4 or 5 times a day when doing the maintenance tasks in the office. It does not show the 'restored' flag on the drives.

With Diskpart>>>

Screenshot Diskpart.png
Screenshot Diskpart.png (74.91 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Registry editor: That Key in explorer has no entries. No sense putting any in there either.

With Macrorit, EasyUS Partition, and other partition software used, that 'restored' flag does not appear.

The "restored" shown on the picture in the previous post is ONLY seen in Image 4 Win while opening it and selecting drives or partitions to image. I am thinking that there is a file in Image 4 Win that needs to be edited, but I'm not messing with that until I know its structure.

I tried searching my Win programs, TeraByte Drive image Backup and Restore Suite for the string shown on HD 0 in the previous posting, parameters 'All files All folder, all subfolders, include system files: No matching string found. No place on this computer has that string that I could find.

I have read the manual on TBOSTD, and tried to utilize it, as was suggested in the immediately prior post (with again my thanks for your input), however it tells me that I can't run it on my computer...??? What's with that. (Version: unknown: not shown in 'help' or in "About", but I think it was 2016 when I upgraded from the previous version. Yes, I don't mess with a good thing after I have done the learning curve initially).

Again, I thank you for your input, though.

Still open for suggestions. Thanks!
TeraByte Support

Either enable use volume label or change the partition label using tbosdt as explained previously. Use the windows version if you're going to do it in Windows, otherwise use the version include in IFL or BootIt (via scripting). You can also change it in BootIt partition work.
AndySW

Post by AndySW »

Friend, I appreciate your input, but I don't have a clue what you are talking about with the bootit scripting thing, and you aren't hearing me when I tell you I have tried everything under the sun besides Bootit (including TBOSDT. TBOST did nothing for me in the way of reconfiguring these labels.)

I have changed the Label(s) in question via Windows DiskManagement, With Macrorit, with Diskpart, with every darned thing I can find and conjure up. The labels I input show on the partitions in ALL other programs, but when I open Image 4 Win, what do I see? Labled "RESTORED" and per the pic in the 2nd post. I have been working with PC's since 1981, DOS 1.2, and can generally sort this stuff out, post haste. This, I can't. BOOTIT with scripting? Over my head, never tried it, never learned it, and don't have the time.

WHY was that label applied by I4W when the drive was restored to begin with??
AndySW

Post by AndySW »

Followup to the prior:
Attachments
Screenshot I4W_DM_DPart.jpg
Screenshot I4W_DM_DPart.jpg (234.19 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
TeraByte Support

Using HD0 with partition ID 0x1 (the number in the parenthesis) as an example:

1) Run tbosdt as administrator.
2) list hd 0
what do you see? Presuming it matches your hard drive 0 names in the pic:
3) set part name 0 0x1 "My Label"
4) exit

for volume label with drive letter:
1) set vol "my label" d:
2) exit

for volume label with no drive letter
1) set option locking 2
2) mount 0: 0 0x1
3) set vol "my label" 0:
4) umount 0:
5) exit

For partwork in IFL gui or BootIt, highlight partition, press enter, double click or choose properties, set new name.