Microsoft Windows 10 update KB5034441

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Scott

Microsoft Windows 10 update KB5034441

Post by Scott »

-deleted for the community good-

Sorry. I was speaking gibberish because I was confused on an essential point which is not worth elaborating.

Thank you for the responses. Please delete this thread with my apologies.
Last edited by Scott on Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 update KB5034441

Post by TeraByte Support »

They are referring to the recovery partition. You could use tbwinre boot disk to run tbexpl.tbs script which has a partition manager (presuming you've applied a bootit key as well) option to reduce windows partition size, slide winre, expand re (or whatever method you want to use - delete / recreate). Of course backup before attempting. Also if bitlocker, to resize would require disabling it to reduce size since not at volume level with tbosdt/bootit, internal windows command works on volume level (built-in) but only if no data in the way to reduce size.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Last edited by Scott on Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

If you still need it, here what I did, worked like a dream.

Load Boot it UEFI shrink main OS, at this point don't worry If you make 2GB recovery partition, later on you will shrink it back, I added additional 1GB to the already 530MB recovery partition.

Boot it UEFI will check for errors after and before every task of resizing, sliding ext. then if you need to move the new partition to the left or right use "slide" option, then resize the recovery partition by combining the new partition from OS with recovery partition, once you done that, close and do the update.

Once update is done go back and reverse it all, that's why I said, it doesn't matter how much you shrink your OS because afterwords you can resize (shrink) the new modified recovery partition to pretty much the same size and give back rest to OS main partition, in my case I end up going back to 570MB that was the MAX allowed me to and if you need to first slide the unused partition left/right closer to OS use "slide" again and then put it back to main OS partition.

It is very simple without scripting.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Last edited by Scott on Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

With BitLocker, resizing or moving an unlocked partition with IFW doesn't work. The best approach is to decrypt, make the changes, encrypt again. It is a bit more writing to the drive, but it's usually a fairly quick process with fast drives.

When resizing the WinRE partition, keep in mind that the contents will likely keep increasing. I generally use 1-2GB to allow room for growth. If you make it too small then it may need adjusted again after the next update. Also, if TBWinRE in WinRE or IFW WinRE mode is used and the partition has very little free space, those builds mode would fail.

If you do want to have a barely large enough WinRE partition (for whatever reason), I would recommend leaving another 500MB to 1GB of free (unallocated) space after it so it has room to grow without needing further action on the encrypted Windows partition.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Last edited by Scott on Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's the moving and/or resizing that causes issues due to areas being blocked. You can certainly try it, though, if you want. Otherwise, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your scenario. The problem is when restoring the backup into an unlocked BitLocker partition (over itself). If you are restoring to another location (different partition, different drive, different location on original drive, etc.) that is "normal" space (not an unlocked encrypted area) then it should be fine.

You could delete the partitions and restore them (leave the Windows partition locked so it can be deleted). You would need to re-encrypt the Windows partition afterwards (saves decrypting, though). Make sure everything is working how you want before encrypting so you hopefully don't have to do that part over again.

I guess your WinRE partition is located at the start of the drive. As you suggested earlier, you could just ignore that space, shrink the Windows partition in Windows using Disk Management, and then restore the WinRE partition after it (delete the old one first).

Either way, once it's done, it should be good for easier adjustments if any are needed in the future.
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Is there also a fix or work-around for those who have the recovery environment located in the Windows boot partition like mentioned here?

(The update doesn't install, even when the Windows boot partition has plenty of free space.)
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

I consider trying the following:

1) Disable Recovery Environment. (reagentc /disable)
2) Install update KB5034441.
3) Enable Recovery Environment. (reagentc /enable)

Did someone try this?