How to copy from one BitLocker external drive to another?
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:15 am
I have a few external drives which I use for different purposes, for which I could like to have a backup drive ready to go if I need it (rather than having an image I would need to restore). All are BitLocker encrypted.
All my experience using IFW has been with Backup and Restore. I haven't used the Copy function until today.
I tried copying one flash drive to another. (The destination drive is much larger than the origin drive, if that makes a difference.) I selected Validate Byte-for-Byte and Read from Windows. The operation aborted because Validate Byte-for-Byte found errors. After the aborted attempt, the destination flash drive was still BitLocker-encrypted, but I couldn't use it. Disk Management shows Unknown file system. I tried to re-format, got a warning I will lose BitLocker encryption, so I guess I will reformat and encrypt again. Since the amount of data on the flash drive is small, I might just use Windows to copy in the future, but I thought IFW might be more accurate—is that true?
But the other pair of drives I want to maintain as copies are each 1 TB (SSD drives) with about 750 GB of data. What is the best way to copy all the data from one BitLocker-encrypted drive to another BitLocker-encrypted drive, without having to re-encrypt? Can I use Copy to do that or do I need to make a BU and then restore the BU? My past experience restoring an image BU to an unlocked BitLocker drive has been in TBWinRE, usually restoring C:, so I couldn't do it in Windows. But in this case, if you recommend Backup and Restore to accomplish copying, can I do it in Windows? Do I use Validate Byte-for-Byte when doing the backup but not for the Restore?
All my experience using IFW has been with Backup and Restore. I haven't used the Copy function until today.
I tried copying one flash drive to another. (The destination drive is much larger than the origin drive, if that makes a difference.) I selected Validate Byte-for-Byte and Read from Windows. The operation aborted because Validate Byte-for-Byte found errors. After the aborted attempt, the destination flash drive was still BitLocker-encrypted, but I couldn't use it. Disk Management shows Unknown file system. I tried to re-format, got a warning I will lose BitLocker encryption, so I guess I will reformat and encrypt again. Since the amount of data on the flash drive is small, I might just use Windows to copy in the future, but I thought IFW might be more accurate—is that true?
But the other pair of drives I want to maintain as copies are each 1 TB (SSD drives) with about 750 GB of data. What is the best way to copy all the data from one BitLocker-encrypted drive to another BitLocker-encrypted drive, without having to re-encrypt? Can I use Copy to do that or do I need to make a BU and then restore the BU? My past experience restoring an image BU to an unlocked BitLocker drive has been in TBWinRE, usually restoring C:, so I couldn't do it in Windows. But in this case, if you recommend Backup and Restore to accomplish copying, can I do it in Windows? Do I use Validate Byte-for-Byte when doing the backup but not for the Restore?