Setting up Ubuntu Behind Win10

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jaydub

Setting up Ubuntu Behind Win10

Post by jaydub »

I installed the most recent iteration of Ubuntu on its own ext4 partition behind a Win10 Partition, following the instructions outlined by Terabyte. I set it up so that there is no separate Linux boot or swap partition. The mount point is "/" on the singular partition. I did get the following warning message just before the OS commenced installation: "No EFI system partition found. The partition probably won't boot". I ignored the message and the OS went about the installation process. Everything seems fine, except that I get the following error message every time I boot to Ubuntu: "Sorry, Ubuntu 23.04 has experienced an internal error". The reasons seem to be numerous, starting with something about Ayatana. I escape out of the message and all seems fine...it's not like the system crashes. But this all makes me wonder if that error message is related to the "No EFI system partition found" warning message I received before installation started. Did I screw up the installation by not having an EFI system partition? I'm using Boot It Bare Metal MBR, not UEFI.
Brian K

Re: Setting up Ubuntu Behind Win10

Post by Brian K »

jaydub,

Did you make UEFI boot media instead of MBR media?

If your media is on USB, does it contain a EFI folder?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

An Ubuntu MBR UFD has MBR partitions in Partition Work. The UFD partition is Active. Single partition.

An Ubuntu UEFI UFD has GPT partitions in Partition Work. Single partition.

Both UFDs have a EFI folder.
jaydub

Post by jaydub »

Here is what Partition Work looks like:

EMBR Partitions
Bootit EMBRM Partition 5MiB Bootit EMBRM
WIN10 Partition 300,000MiB NTFS
UbuntuMate Partition 150,000MiB Linux Native
---------------- Partition 526,657MiB Free Space

How should it look? Should I have added two Linux Native partitions before I installed the OS, one for EFI and one for the system files? If so, in what order and how large for EFI? And would I instruct the installation program to install Linux on the EFI partition or the system partition?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Are you using UFD or DVD boot media?

With a MBR system there should be no EFI system partition. I can create your install errors by booting a Ubuntu DVD in EFI mode. The Ubuntu DVD or UFD should be booted in MBR mode (not EFI mode) and then you won't see those EFI messages.

Check your BIOS to see what is booting in EFI mode and disable EFI mode. You should have CSM enabled in the BIOS. Essential.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The BIOS Boot Selection gives you the option to boot in UEFI or not, typically you'll see duplicate entries in the menu, one with (UEFI) and one without.
jaydub

Post by jaydub »

I do have CSM enabled and my OS drive is MBR...I know that much. To install Ubuntu I'm booting from a flash drive with Rufus and Ubuntu. As a point of clarification, I don't know what UFD is so I can't speak to that. I looked at the boot media, and it does have an EFI folder....is that not good? Maybe I should revert to my old style of making a DVD to install.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

UFD is USB flash drive.

Check the partition type of the UFD in Partition Work. It should be MBR. Rufus can make GPT or MBR flash drives. A GPT UFD won't boot in MBR mode.

Delete and recreate your Linux partition on the internal drive. Attempt to boot the Ubuntu Boot Item to set the partitions. Boot from the UFD using the MBR choice and not the UEFI choice. As described by TeraByte Support. It should be ok this time.