TBWinRE not working

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
gonza

TBWinRE not working

Post by gonza »

Hi there.

When I try to restore from Windows using TBWinRE, my PC reboots, the Windows logo appears and then... nothing. Tried a couple of times, waited 10 minutes, but there is no case. I need to use IFL or IFD to restore my image.

This happens on Windows 10 and also on Windows 11.

I have downgraded IFW to v3.58 (because I have the installer) and restoring from Windows works fine as always.

Edit: I just tested and v3.60 works too. v3.61 and v3.61a are not.
Last edited by gonza on Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBWinRE not working

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

There weren't really any changes in the 3.61 release that should have affected the reboot. Seems odd that 3.60 boots and 3.61 doesn't. Are you using backup WIMs where one may have been used instead of rebuilding when you changed versions?

Does a TBWinRE UFD created with 3.61 or 3.61a boot up normally? Does a normal BootWIM boot work?
gonza

Post by gonza »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:57 pm Are you using backup WIMs where one may have been used instead of rebuilding when you changed versions?
Do you mean to restore an image containing 3.60 using a 3.61? Yes. But also I installed Windows 10 and 11 from scratch and using 3.61 to restore a 3.61 image and 3.61 TBWinRE.
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:57 pm Does a TBWinRE UFD created with 3.61 or 3.61a boot up normally? Does a normal BootWIM boot work?
I didn't test TBWinRE UFD, but I could do it. Sorry, but what is a normal BootWIM? Windows default wim, like when you hold shift and restore? If it is, then yes, is working.

Sorry, I'm learning english.
Last edited by gonza on Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(PP)

For the backup WIMs, I meant the backup Builder makes and can use instead of rebuilding. From what you say, it doesn't sound like it was used.

A normal BootWIM is using the BootWIM feature to boot a TBWinRE build's boot.wim file instead of using the IFW reboot feature. For example, if you create a normal TBWinRE build (like you would for a UFD) and then you boot that WIM file (File menu, Boot WIM file...). The boot.wim file is located in the build's ISO\sources folder. See: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto ... #appendix4
gonza

Post by gonza »

Ohhh, thanks! I'm going to test all of this and report back, asap!
jitu947

Post by jitu947 »

The 3.61a Winre works on my computer, but the Winpe won't boot because of the revocations in secure boot, but eventually there should be a new PE from Windows. Make sure you have latest WIndows updates and 3.61a, not 3.61. And make sure it's winre you choose, otherwise for winpe you have to turn off secure boot, restore and turn secure boot back on.

Anyway 3.61a has been fine on my Windows 11 computer and that is after the revocations were applied.
gonza

Post by gonza »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:34 pm For the backup WIMs, I meant the backup Builder makes and can use instead of rebuilding. From what you say, it doesn't sound like it was used.

A normal BootWIM is using the BootWIM feature to boot a TBWinRE build's boot.wim file instead of using the IFW reboot feature. For example, if you create a normal TBWinRE build (like you would for a UFD) and then you boot that WIM file (File menu, Boot WIM file...). The boot.wim file is located in the build's ISO\sources folder. See: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto ... #appendix4
I just tested this and I have the same result. I really don't get why 3.60 works just fine but 3.61 is not. I know is a small issue but is there anything I can do to help you?
gonza

Post by gonza »

jitu947 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:16 am The 3.61a Winre works on my computer, but the Winpe won't boot because of the revocations in secure boot, but eventually there should be a new PE from Windows. Make sure you have latest WIndows updates and 3.61a, not 3.61. And make sure it's winre you choose, otherwise for winpe you have to turn off secure boot, restore and turn secure boot back on.

Anyway 3.61a has been fine on my Windows 11 computer and that is after the revocations were applied.
I always use the Winre and never had any issue until now. Secure boot is also turned off. I have Win 11 updated too. In my PC, 3.61 and 3.61a fails too boot with Windows 10 and 11. 3.60 boots even with secure boot enabled.
TeraByte Support(PP)

gonza wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:19 pm I know is a small issue but is there anything I can do to help you?
Do you have the build logs for both builds (3.60 & 3.61)? It may help to see them.

Are the options used for the builds the same? Is the source WinRE WIM the same for both?
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

I went down that same rabbit hole with 3.62, and it seems that copying drivers into the tbwinre "Drivers" folder may have something to do with it.

The UFD simply would not boot after running the build with added drivers.

However, I've copied drivers before with 3.61a, and didn't have an issue.

What finally worked was the following config settings -

Settings > Program Paths

Use selected WinRE WIM file (Note: had put a copy of winre.wim in a custom folder)
Set the path

Settings > Build Options

Uncheck Add drivers from "Drivers" folder (Note: did not copy any drivers into the folder)
Check Add installed storage and network drivers

All other settings were the defaults.

Ran the build, booted, and was able to do a full image and restore with no issues.