TBWinRE not working

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
gonza

Re: TBWinRE not working

Post by gonza »

Sorry, I couldn't answer before. But today I was finally able to do some more tests.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 and 11, using the latest versions from Microsoft. These are the results:

v3.60 boots and restores fine.
v3.61 and .61a: freeze at the Windows logo.
v3.62: reboots after Windows logo and doesn't restore anything

I did a backup with IFL after installing Windows and restored with IFL after each test.
I think this is not a WIM problem because after installing v3.62 I used TBWinRE to create a WIM that did not boot. But then I installed 3.60 over the 3.62 without changing any config. Then I tested to restore from Windows using IFW as usual, and to my surprise, the 3.62 wim file booted just fine.

So could it be an IFW problem? In the meantime, I'll keep using 3.60.

I'm back at home, so I can continue testing if you need.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Since the WIM built with the 3.62 install works when booted with the 3.60 version, it could be something wrong with the boot configuration since there were some changes there. Can you provide bcdedit output for an attempt that successfully boots and one that doesn't? Since you said a normal BootWIM boot has the same issue, it's probably easier to get the output from those boot attempts instead of an IFW reboot (no restore operation will be performed).

Create a normal build so you can boot the WIM file (you tested this before so should be familiar with the process). Use TBWinPE/RE Builder to boot the WIM file (boot.wim in the build's ISO\sources folder). When you get to the reboot prompt, don't reboot. Open an administrator command prompt and run the following command: bcdedit /enum all
Save the output to a file (you can copy it from the command prompt window and paste into a text file). Then go back to Builder's reboot prompt and do the restart (this is to verify that the boot attempt actually does or doesn't work).

Get the bcdedit output for one that successfully boots and one that doesn't.
gonza

Post by gonza »

Hello. I just tested again following your instructions.
I'm attaching the txt files in a zip file because a txt is not allowed. Anyway, I hope this helps to solve the problem.
If you need more info or tests, I'll be happy to help.
Attachments
bcdedit results.zip
(3 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Diff of bcdedit results in attached PDF (zipped)...

"Not working" is the left column.
bcdedit diffs.zip
(63.75 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Thanks for the files. I'll take a look at them.