Restoring BootIt UEFI boot menu after Windows Update

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
timg11

Restoring BootIt UEFI boot menu after Windows Update

Post by timg11 »

I have a system with dual boot Windows 11 and Ubuntu, with BootIt UEFI installed to present a menu to select on boot.
After Windows Update, the system now boots directly to Windows and doesn't show BIU's boot menu.
I can still get to BIU (and Windows and Ubuntu) from the F12 boot menu, but I'd rather have it go to BIU automatically.
I can boot into Maintenance for BIU, and I thought there was a setting to re-install BIU, but I'm not finding it.
What is the procedure to restore booting to BIU's menu?
TeraByte Support

Re: Restoring BootIt UEFI boot menu after Windows Update

Post by TeraByte Support »

When you boot the installation media there is an option to reactivate/reinstall/etc..
timg11

Post by timg11 »

Can the reactivate be accomplished when booting to the IFL media that also has the BIU license installed on it?
TeraByte Support

Only if you manually use something like the set uefi bootitem commands in tbosdt and booted in UEFI mode.
timg11

Post by timg11 »

I looked in tbosdt.pdf, and find "ADD UEFI BOOTITEM" but not "SET UEFI BOOTITEM". There is SET UEFI BOOTORDER and SET UEFI BOOTNEXT.

I'm not clear how these would be used with the USB bootable IFL media? Are you saying run TBOSDT (from an other Windows machine, for example) on the USB bootable media created by Makedisk.exe for IFL so that the SET command enables additional capabilities to re-enable BIU?
TeraByte Support

use "help list uef" "help set uefi" "help add uefi" "help del uefi". Would be easier to use the boot media, select it from the BIOS boot selection menu.
harwoomi

Post by harwoomi »

TeraByte Support wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:33 pm When you boot the installation media there is an option to reactivate/reinstall/etc..
I have exactly the same problem as @tim11.

But I still don't see this option. What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do to get this option visible?

Thanks.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

This is the first screen when you boot a BIU flash drive...

biu.jpg
biu.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
harwoomi

Post by harwoomi »

Yes, this is the screen that I don't see.

> "I can still get to BIU (and Windows and Ubuntu) from the F12 boot menu"

I have to press F12 to get to a "one-time boot menu", and then the main BootIt UEFI screen appears. I never see the one that you posted. I wonder why ...

P.S. This is not a huge problem, it's just annoying. I can probably reactivate it using my boot media (which is the DriveDroid app on my cell phone).
harwoomi

Post by harwoomi »

Brian K wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:06 pm This is the first screen when you boot a BIU flash drive...
SOLVED!

When I boot to Ubuntu, there's a boot options screen (black with white text). The final option is "UEFI Firmware Settings". Booting to this allows one to change the boot sequence. My boot sequence is now: Bootit UEFI, Ubuntu, Windows Boot Manager.

I'm hoping that this information will help others who run into the same situation.