Page 1 of 2
Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:00 pm
by yebar16037
When I boot with an IFL USB, it only runs if secure boot is disabled. The computer is configured as dual-boot, Win 10 and Ubuntu 22.04. The error is I get is "Verification failed: (0x1A) security violation". I had an identical boot error from the boot manager I use (rEFInd) to select either of the OSes in normal use. In that case, the developer found that new versions of shim-signed (e.g., provided by Canonical Ubuntu) would not allow boot programs to launch unless they contained an SBAT space to accommodate the latest security features of secure boot. Is this a possible issue for IFL or is there some other problem here? The v3.57 documentation states that IFL should work with UEFI secure boot.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:30 pm
by TeraByte Support
You need to ensure you're BIOS is using the latest MS 3rd party certificates, may require a BIOS update. If you update Ubuntu to the latest it may update the certificates as well.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:53 am
by bernd.el.pan
How to check whether or not all the 'latest MS 3rd party certificates' are applied? I am still experiencing the same USB boot problem with IFL3.62 on a Lenovo laptop with both Win10P and Linux Mint installed in dual boot. Both OS are up-to-date, so is the BIOS, and UEFI secure boot is on.
First error is 'Verification failed: (0x1A) Security Violation' then after hitting OK the following lines appear:
Failed to load image: Security Policy Violation
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load Image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
start_image() returned Not Found
The IFL installation on the USB flash drive does not contain an mmx64.efi. Do I need to copy it from anywhere else?
Another laptop (also Lenovo with just Win10P installed) boots IFL3.62 without issues when secure boot is on.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:41 pm
by OldNavyGuy
Open the Secure Boot Configuration on your Lenovo, and check that "Allow Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI CA" is on.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:16 pm
by bernd.el.pan
Both Lenovos don't have that UEFI Secure Boot option as they came with no Windows pre-installed.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:48 pm
by Brian K
bernd.el.pan,
I developed the same issue a few months ago. Same errors. I updated the BIOS and the IFL UFD booted with Secure Boot enabled. But it only worked a few times before it failed with the Secure Boot error.
I have IFL installed on my SSD. It boots with Secure Boot enabled.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:40 am
by Brian K
Linux, Win11 and TBWinRE UFDs boot with Secure Boot enabled. IFL UFDs don't. It happens on two computers with Gigabyte motherboards.
IFL UFDs booted with Secure Boot enabled until a few months ago.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:15 pm
by OldNavyGuy
Try the following test -
On the IFL UFD, copy grub64.efi in \EFI\BOOT to your desktop.
Rename the copied file mmx64.efi.
Copy the renamed file to \EFI\BOOT.
Boot IFL with the UFD.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:10 pm
by Brian K
No luck with mmx64.efi on the UFD.
Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:01 pm
by OldNavyGuy
I created an IFL 3.62 UFD as GPT UEFI, and was able to boot it on a WIndows 10 22H2 laptop with UEFI.
Initially, there was an undeline cursor in the upper left hand corner.
I hit ENTER, and it continued to boot.
There was no mmx64.efi in \EFI\BOOT