Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
yebar16037

Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Post by yebar16037 »

When I boot with an IFL USB, it only runs if secure boot is disabled. The computer is configured as dual-boot, Win 10 and Ubuntu 22.04. The error is I get is "Verification failed: (0x1A) security violation". I had an identical boot error from the boot manager I use (rEFInd) to select either of the OSes in normal use. In that case, the developer found that new versions of shim-signed (e.g., provided by Canonical Ubuntu) would not allow boot programs to launch unless they contained an SBAT space to accommodate the latest security features of secure boot. Is this a possible issue for IFL or is there some other problem here? The v3.57 documentation states that IFL should work with UEFI secure boot.
Last edited by TeraByte Support(PP) on Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed links.
TeraByte Support

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Post by TeraByte Support »

You need to ensure you're BIOS is using the latest MS 3rd party certificates, may require a BIOS update. If you update Ubuntu to the latest it may update the certificates as well.
bernd.el.pan

Post by bernd.el.pan »

How to check whether or not all the 'latest MS 3rd party certificates' are applied? I am still experiencing the same USB boot problem with IFL3.62 on a Lenovo laptop with both Win10P and Linux Mint installed in dual boot. Both OS are up-to-date, so is the BIOS, and UEFI secure boot is on.
First error is 'Verification failed: (0x1A) Security Violation' then after hitting OK the following lines appear:

Failed to load image: Security Policy Violation
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load Image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
start_image() returned Not Found

The IFL installation on the USB flash drive does not contain an mmx64.efi. Do I need to copy it from anywhere else?
Another laptop (also Lenovo with just Win10P installed) boots IFL3.62 without issues when secure boot is on.
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Open the Secure Boot Configuration on your Lenovo, and check that "Allow Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI CA" is on.
bernd.el.pan

Post by bernd.el.pan »

Both Lenovos don't have that UEFI Secure Boot option as they came with no Windows pre-installed.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

bernd.el.pan,

I developed the same issue a few months ago. Same errors. I updated the BIOS and the IFL UFD booted with Secure Boot enabled. But it only worked a few times before it failed with the Secure Boot error.

I have IFL installed on my SSD. It boots with Secure Boot enabled.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Linux, Win11 and TBWinRE UFDs boot with Secure Boot enabled. IFL UFDs don't. It happens on two computers with Gigabyte motherboards.

IFL UFDs booted with Secure Boot enabled until a few months ago.
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Try the following test -

On the IFL UFD, copy grub64.efi in \EFI\BOOT to your desktop.

Rename the copied file mmx64.efi.

Copy the renamed file to \EFI\BOOT.

Boot IFL with the UFD.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

No luck with mmx64.efi on the UFD.
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

I created an IFL 3.62 UFD as GPT UEFI, and was able to boot it on a WIndows 10 22H2 laptop with UEFI.

Initially, there was an undeline cursor in the upper left hand corner.

I hit ENTER, and it continued to boot.

There was no mmx64.efi in \EFI\BOOT