Can IFW back up a mapped drive TO a local drive?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Muad'Dib

Can IFW back up a mapped drive TO a local drive?

Post by Muad'Dib »

I was trying to back up the C drive on machine ALPHA to a folder on machine BETA (ALPHA didn't have enough drive space for a backup).

I first tried this by mapping the C drive on ALPHA and running IFW from BETA. Despite multiple attempts, and trying all sorts of tweaks (including adding the registry entry EnableLinkedConnections and ensuring that the mapping was done in an elevated session), IFW could not find the mapped drive.

I finally was able to backup ALPHA's drive by running IFW from ALPHA instead (and saving the backups on BETA), but I'm wondering if my original method can work if I figure out the necessary tweaks.

The reason I prefer my original method is that I wouldn't have to give remote write access to the backup folder (both machines are part of a large network, so I prefer to block any remote write access whenever possible). And the sharing of the source C drive would be read-only. Since I ended having to use the "riskier" method, I limited the number of simultaneous users to 1, and made sure that I disabled the sharing when the backup was complete.

I suspect that the problem with my original attempt is that IFW is looking for a physical device, so finding a mapped drive to back up won't work. But that's only a guess on my part. So now I'm asking (for future reference): Is it possible to get my original method to work, or was I just trying to do something that IFW can't handle?

BTW, I have IFW licenses for both machines, so this isn't an attempt to back up more than one machine with only one license (to users who only have IFW for home use: These are work machines, so I need to buy one license for each machine).
TeraByte Support

Re: Can IFW back up a mapped drive TO a local drive?

Post by TeraByte Support »

network drives are virtual places where files are stored, the drive to create an image backup or restore has to be local to the program. Also you don't need to make drives, you can use a UNC (\\server\share instead of N:)