Two questions: error updating to 3.60 and restore sees no target drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
fairlane32

Two questions: error updating to 3.60 and restore sees no target drive

Post by fairlane32 »

Hello,
I’m trying to restore a windows 10 image taken from a Dell Optiplex 5490 120gb in size to a new Dell Optiplex 7410 that’s 256gb in size but IFW recovery disk tells me all the partitions are too small. So I decided to load up my windows 10 usb, blast the partitions and got to a desktop (had to have the windows boot disk find and update Intel rapid storage drivers to see any partitions but that seems to be the norm now with modern Dell’s)

Then booted IFW recovery usb, selected the image and still it says the drive is too small. Even unchecking Simple Operations, when I choose the target it says “Target Location would Overlap existing partitions”. Well. Fine by me. I just want the image laid down. When simple operations is unchecked when I select where to restore to the hard drive isn’t visible. I’m wondering if it’s because IFW also doesn’t have the Intel rapid drivers that I had to put on my windows boot disk? Is there a way to add them to IFW if that’s even possible?

Lastly, on my laptop I’m just updating IFW and it stops the upgrade on TBNotify.exe access is denied Code 5. I forgot what the solution is to fix that but doing a search on the forums comes up empty. Sorry.

Thanks
Philip
TeraByte Support

Re: Two questions: error updating to 3.60 and restore sees no target drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

Sounds like you need the storage drivers added. https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ on creating the boot disk has information in the appendix on how to add drivers.

TBINotify access denied sounds like it's open and in use (it didn't close) - or something blocked it.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

TeraByte Support wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 am Sounds like you need the storage drivers added. https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ on creating the boot disk has information in the appendix on how to add drivers.

Ok thank you for pointing me to that page but which one of those guides is the one I’m supposed to be looking at? Also, am I understanding that in a simple backup and restore I’m supposed to use the IFW recovery disk for the back up but use IFL recovery disk to do the restore? Why? Why can’t I use IFW recovery disk for both? That would be even simpler.

TBINotify access denied sounds like it's open and in use (it didn't close) - or something blocked it.
If it was because tbnotify.exe was simply still running in memory, simply closing it did not allow the upgrade to succeed. I still received the same error message. What could be blocking it? I don’t have any extraneous software running on the laptop and I’m performing the upgrade within an administrative account.

Thanks,
Philip
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

I have some good news; first, the tbnotify.exe issue resolved and I was able to successfully upgrade IFW after unchecking Fast Startup Notification. (I’m not sure why that would prevent an upgrade)
Secondly, I was able to copy a folder containing the most up to date Intel rapid storage drivers onto the IFW recovery disk. I had to Manually choose the Target for the Restore. Unfortunately after laying down the image I am unable to boot into Windows with a stop code error INACCESSIBLE _BOOT_DEVICE. A frowny face and a QR code linking to Microsoft stop codes. I’m not sure if using the Intel rapid drivers is to blame or something else. That page linked in the stop code error isn’t helpful.

Thanks,
Philip :(
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

validate byte for byte - inaccessible boot device usually means the correct storage driver is not installed in Windows. You'd use osdtool.tbs script to add the drivers needed (from the .sys, .cab, .inf, .cat files).
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Thank you!! 😍😍