restore taking WAY to long.

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
badams_ios

restore taking WAY to long.

Post by badams_ios »

My grandson is restoring an image from a usb3 external drive. His new drive a 1 tb. SSD. Both drives are a terabyte, and he is restoring just shy of 400 GB. Before attempting the restore, we checked both drives for bad blocks and both drives are fine. When he first fired up the restore the system said it would take 60 hours to complete. I told him to stop and google, but he doesn't want to. Why? you might ask? He's a teenager and as you know, teenagers know everything.

What do you think is wrong, and how do I fix it?
badams_ios

Re: restore taking WAY to long.

Post by badams_ios »

Update. The job failed with error 72, bad sectors. Like I said I scanned both the old drive and the new drive for errors and they came up fine.

I did not scan the external drive for errors. It is brand new SSD and went backing up everything was fine. Of course I will test and drive as soon as possible, but that still does not explain why it was predicted to take 60 hours.
TeraByte Support

Re: restore taking WAY to long.

Post by TeraByte Support »

every bad sector hit could take several minutes for each try. The estimated time will grow. Also, you don't indicate what you're using, restoring under Linux/Windows is typically much faster than DOS/UEFI. And the port / cable would need to be USB3 to get those speeds.