makeHDD on a GPT disk with GUID partition table

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Alex

makeHDD on a GPT disk with GUID partition table

Post by Alex »

I'd like to install Image for Linux on a partition so that it can be booted from BootItUEIF -- just like Windows or Linux. When I try to use the makeHDD program (included in the Image for Linux package) to make that partition I get "Drive /dev/sda is a GPT disk containing a GUID partition table.
makeHDD currently does not support installing to a partition on GPT disks...exiting"

Am I not understanding something here? GPT disks using GUID partition tables are pretty much the nominal standard for P/C's, so why are they not supported by makeHDD?
Brian K

Re: makeHDD on a GPT disk with GUID partition table

Post by Brian K »

Alex wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 pm I'd like to install Image for Linux on a partition so that it can be booted from BootItUEIF -- just like Windows or Linux.
Alex,

Another way to do this is to create a partition image of your IFL UFD. Restore the image to your SSD and resize the partition to around 150 MiB. Create a Boot Item in BIU. Done.
Alex

Re: makeHDD on a GPT disk with GUID partition table

Post by Alex »

Brian, thanks for the suggested workaround -- that may come in handy for the next person experiencing this situation.

Before posting the original message, by means of brute force, a lot of time, and a lot of trial and error I was able to achieve what I wanted. My question, though, was did I not understand makeHDD's intended function correctly, or has Terabyte chosen not to implement a capability to create a bootable installation directly on a GPT hard disk drive? The only reason I wanted to do this is that BootIt UEIF + the vendor's supplied UEIF/BIOS has important deficiencies -- like the mouse doesn't work and there is no access to optical drives for the Imaging module. It works well enough to boot multi-boot systems (like Windows and Linux) but not to do partition or imaging work. The bootable DVD of Image for Linux I created provides that capability, but why have to carry a DVD around when that could be on the hard drive?