IFD ISO on a flash drive with Ventoy, exFAT formatted, IFD fails to write to the flash drive

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pereyra

IFD ISO on a flash drive with Ventoy, exFAT formatted, IFD fails to write to the flash drive

Post by pereyra »

Hi, I've tried searching the forum, but failed to find a solution.

I have a bootable flash drive / USB stick with Ventoy installed on it. The partition that holds ISO files was formatted with exFAT (Ventoy's default option).

I have an IFD (v2.x) ISO created using the MakeDisk utility. The ISO is placed on the USB stick, along with a bunch of other ISO's.

I boot from the Ventoy USB stick, then I run the IFD ISO in memdisk mode, and it works great — it's a desktop computer with Win10 on it, the hard drive is split into several NTFS partitions, one of the partitions is used solely to hold Windows on it. Booting from that USB stick I am able to easily create an image of that Windows partition and store it on any other partition on the same hard drive, and restore it anytime.

BUT:
the USB stick has a lot of unused space, I would like to be able to save images to it instead of saving them to a partition on the hard drive.

And it turns out that IFD cannot write to the exFAT-formatted stick ("cannot access file system" error or something like that).

The issue seems to be resolved if I format the stick with FAT32 (Ventoy has no problem with that), IFD then writes to the stick just fine, I just need to make sure to set the max file size to below 4 GB.

But in that case I lose the ability to store other ISOs on the stick if they are bigger than 4 GB, due to the FAT32 max file size limitation, and I have several of those.

What can be done about this? Am I doing something wrong? Can't believe exFAT is not supported, that would be strange, wouldn't it? Perhaps I'm missing something and there's on option in the settings that I need to tick?

Ventoy permits formatting the stick with exFAT/FAT32/NTFS/UDF. Should I format the stick with NTFS perhaps? Will IFD then be able to write to it?

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance with this.
TeraByte Support

Re: IFD ISO on a flash drive with Ventoy, exFAT formatted, IFD fails to write to the flash drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

V2 hasn't been supported for a very long time and doesn't support exFAT.