Restore New Windows & Preserve existing Linux partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Yottabytes

Restore New Windows & Preserve existing Linux partition

Post by Yottabytes »

In the attached picture, Windows won't boot when I just restore the Windows partition "ROOT" or partition #3 with a different version, presumably due to some conflicting information in the EFI or "Reserved" folders. What do I need to change or modify when replacing Windows 10 with Windows 11 or vice versa,? Or do I have to re-install Linux when I update or change Windows?
IFW.gif
IFW.gif (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
To explain further, this would occur when, for example, I want to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 but don't want to go through the ordeal of reinstalling Linux in a dual boot configuration. BTW, BootIt UEFI is installed as boot manager in the given example.
Yottabytes

Re: Restore New Windows & Preserve existing Linux partition

Post by Yottabytes »

Anyone?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Are you getting an error message when you try to boot Windows after restoring?

What options are used for the restore of the Windows partition?

Is BIU configured to manage the boot folders?

Did you try upgrading Windows 10 to Windows 11 from the booted Windows 10? If the booting files for the Windows being upgraded aren't "seen" then it may cause issues.
Yottabytes

Post by Yottabytes »

When I boot, Windows after the fresh install, it tries to repair itself but fails and asks for a system restore disk. Yes, BIU is configured to manage the boot folders.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to wipe my boot disk, do a clean install of a different version of Windows in the same partition size as the existing version and then restore Linux and BootIt on the same drive where the two OSs lived. I am assuming Windows inserts different booting instruction in the EFI folder depending on the version, maybe, which is why I'm having problems?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Don't know if there's really an easy way to handle that type of change. I suspect there would be issues with Windows changing things like the partition sizes, WinRE partition size, etc. that would break things, especially between Windows 10 and 11.

Was everything besides Windows booting up correctly after the fresh Windows install?

I assume the fresh Windows install was booting properly at some point (not sure how the install was performed).

For the Windows booting issue, did you try using the fixboot.tbs script to repair or recreate the booting files? BCD Edit in Partition Work can also be used to verify if the correct partitions are referenced for the entry.

Also, was the boot item using the correct "microsoft.###" folder? For example, if a new folder was created, but the item was using the old folder.

Alternatively, instead of trying to restore BIU and Linux back "around" the new Windows, it might be better to just format the Windows partition, boot to BIU (if not already in it), then boot directly to the Windows install media and install it to the existing Windows partition. Check the BIU boot item for it afterwards (may need to tweak/adjust it). Of course, have a current backup of the entire drive before you begin in case you need to reset. It may also be helpful to use a larger WinRE partition size (say, 1GB) so it has room if the newer Windows needs it.
Yottabytes

Post by Yottabytes »

Yes, after further testing, I think you are right, there's not an easy way to handle this. I even tried restoring a clean version of Windows 11 to an existing Windows 11 installation; still, no go.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

I'm not sure I follow, in one case you wanted to replace w10 with 11 and another you wanted install windows and then restore bootit/linux. For one if you want to use the same bcd for two different versions you'd have to ensure your GUID stays the same or you'd have to run fixboot after, there is an option to keep the target guid/id. Next, I presume windows were already installed on that system and not moving from different hardware, if different hardware you' may need osdtool.tbs run on it. If you wanted to start clean and install two windows, you should install BootIt prior to installing the second windows so it is added automatically to the boot menu, restoring linux without its from from the efi system partition would mean you'd have to run the grub install again to to add its files (if you want to bring over (restore) the efi system which has it, for linux you need to ensure it has the same guid and is in the same gpt slot (and option exists for that too))...
OldNavyGuy

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Windows Subsystem for Linux has eliminated the need for a dual boot system for me.

It may or may not work for your use cases.
Yottabytes

Post by Yottabytes »

@TeraByte Support. It is the same hardware; same SSD boot drive. I was just experimenting with two scenarios: Wipe my boot disk and do a clean install of Windows 11 to replace the original Windows 10 and then restoring the Linux partitions and (2) Wipe my disk and do a clean install of Windows 10 to replace the original Windows 10 and then restoring the Linux partitions. The partition sizes before and after the restoration are unchanged. But Windows goes into repair mode and does not work in both cases. I was thinking maybe there was someway to save or replace files in the EFI partition. But I guess not.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

you'd backup the efi system partition as well.