Page 1 of 4
Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:43 am
by mythos
My most recent full backup of the C partition is 95Gb (with default compression). I do a daily differential backup which is usually less than 20Gb. On windows 7 I could use the same full backup for months without the differential ever growing beyond that.
On windows 10 however I often see the differential backup growing to almost the size of the full backup in a single day. This time it was 7-10Gb for 7 days and yesterday it suddenly grew to 65Gb. I might have updated some application but that was a couple of 100MB, windows was not updated and I didn't do anything beyond office work on the pc that day. This isn't the first time it has happened either. It seems to happen every few days after the full backup. And of course once it grows it stays that size which forces me to redo a full backup and start over.
Does anyone have some idea why this is happening?
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:43 pm
by OldNavyGuy
You may be confusing Differential backups with Incremental backups.
Excerpts from the IFW User's Guide (pages 235 - 237)...
Incremental -
Incremental backups include only data that has changed since the most recent
backup was performed—whether the most recent backup was a full backup or a
previous incremental backup
Differential -
Differential backups include only data that has changed since the most recent full
backup was performed
By its nature, the size of a differential backup grows over time. If you wait long
enough between full backups, your differential backup could become almost as
large as a full backup, and take almost as much time to create.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:10 pm
by TeraByte Support
what version are you using? If 3.58, you need to upgrade because FAT32 would be raw. Otherwise, you can use tbiview to see what changed under the view option to show lba/changed files.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:09 pm
by mythos
Hi, thanks for helping.
The list of changed files in the 65GB differential is 320.000 lines and includes most of my C: partition. Even things that I haven't touched in years like photos. Obviously I haven't changed any of that so why does TB suddenly think that I have and backs them up?
On the previous day the differential backup was 7GB and the list was 95.000 lines. I looked at those files and they seem like logical things that could have changed (like winsxs fles etc).
What could have triggered this huge increase? TB suddenly thinks 10 year old files have changed.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:30 pm
by TeraByte Support
They are in a different location - such as a defrag or something like that.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:06 pm
by mythos
Do you know of anything that could have caused this? Of course I don't run defrag on an SSD and widows doesn't either. There's no scheduled task that could have caused this.
If this is something that windows 10 does regularly then it should be something well known. I can't be the only one with this issue.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:55 pm
by TeraByte Support
Create a new base image.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:33 pm
by mythos
I have done this several times. This is not a on-off issue. I keep creating new base images and after a few days the same thing happens.
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:29 pm
by TeraByte Support
Seems like it would be something like some type of defrag running if the changed files are files that haven't changed. Is your drive ssd or traditional spinning platter? Do you use the speed up option or just plain method?
Re: Differential backup suddenly growing to almost full size
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 pm
by mythos
It's an SSD and as I said I don't defragment it or have any scheduled defrag task for any drive. What do you mean by the speedup option?