Upgrade BIBM...Now computer will not boot

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
roscolo

Upgrade BIBM...Now computer will not boot

Post by roscolo »

Have used BIBM for years, just for Image Backups / Restores. I upgrade when a new version comes out, and it always automatically updates. No problem.
Until now.

Booting Windows 10 from NVME drive. Drive has a partition for Windows (C: drive), and a partition for Data.

When trying to upgrade, I got the message that "setup was unable to create or find a dedicated partition." I tried a couple of times. Same message. So then I got "smart" and tried the manual upgrade, and selected to install the upgrade to the BootIt EMBRM Partition that was now showing on HD 4 (see below). Now I can't boot at all, other than into BIBM from the install disk.

BEFORE UPGRADE ATTEMPT what I would see in the BootIt menu was that NVME drive as HD 0 with the below:

System Reserved Partition 549mb
MBR Entry 1 Partition 189451mb
C-Drive-Data Partition 285000mb
BootIt EMBRM Partition 6mb

AFTER THE UPGRADE ATTEMPT what I have is, for HD 0:

BOOTITBM Partition 3mb

All the stuff BEFORE THE UPGRADE ATTEMPT that was on HD 0 now shows up all the same as before when my system worked, only now it says on HD 4:

System Reserved Partition 549mb
MBR Entry 1 Partition 189451mb
C-Drive-Data Partition 285000mb
BootIt EMBRM Partition 6mb

I have a couple of other data storage only drives in there showing up as HD 1, HD 2, and HD 3 as they were before.

I am completely out of my depth, so I'm going to wait for some advisement here before I try anything else at all. Thank you.
roscolo

Re: Upgrade BIBM...Now computer will not boot

Post by roscolo »

UPDATE: I noticed the partition containing my Windows 10 installation was not set as active. I set that partition as active, and I was able to boot. That is probably the fix. I guess since the BIBM upgrade didn't work, another partition got set as active? I don't know. I'm making copies of some data and then I'm making an image backup of the partition containing my Windows installation just to be safe. Then I'll reboot and make sure everything is back to normal.