Creating multiple Windows 10 or 11 partitions from a backup

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Multiboot

Creating multiple Windows 10 or 11 partitions from a backup

Post by Multiboot »

Longtime BootIt NG and BM user. I'm primarily a EMBR user.

I typically create a base Windows OS install on a small partition and back it up with the backup utility built into the BootIT GUI. Anytime I want to install a new game or test a piece of software, I restore that backup to a new partition and size it based on the software's need. This allowed me to give every game or program its own OS and drivers.

I now have a machine that has EFI so I bought BootIT UEFI to use on that machine. I installed it on a completely blank disk and told it to use GPT and to manage EFI. I tried the method described above to clone my base Windows 10 OS install partition. This didn't work. Although the OS partition was cloned, there were no EFI entries/files for this new partition on the EFI System partition.

I found a forum post from early 2020 that implied I could use the copy partition option in Partition Work to clone the base partition and create a new EFI System entry for the newly cloned partition i9n the process. This did seem to work.

Is this my only option for cloning an existing OS partition? Is there any way I can use my old method of backing up the base partition and restoring it? I didn't see any options during the backup and restore process to tell it to also backup and restore the EFI System partition entries for the partition.
Brian K

Re: Creating multiple Windows 10 or 11 partitions from a backup

Post by Brian K »

Multiboot,

See my post on Sept 27

viewtopic.php?t=4141&start=10
TeraByte Support

Re: Creating multiple Windows 10 or 11 partitions from a backup

Post by TeraByte Support »

fixboot.tbs can be used.