Migrate OS on MBR disk to GPT disk on another computer.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
skipro

Migrate OS on MBR disk to GPT disk on another computer.

Post by skipro »

Moving win10 OS from EMBR disk on computer #1 to computer #2 with GPT disk.
Copied OS partition to #2 disk and setup EFI partition for this OS.
What else do I need to do to migrate this partition from EMBR disk to GPT disk, disregarding drivers?

I have the drivers for the new computer in a folder on the OS partition I am trying to migrate.

Is there a reference/guide?
The video "osdtool-sample" has menus different than mine. I find it confusing to get to the intended folder with the drivers and then to get them installed. Does not work as the video.

This OS does not boot and I do not know if it is an MBR/GPT conflict or a driver conflict.
It starts to boot Win10 and tries to repair but fails.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Migrate OS on MBR disk to GPT disk on another computer.

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Normally, you would use the chgdtype.tbs script to convert the drive. Might be easier to start over with a fresh copy. For example, copy the Windows (or Windows and System Reserved, if used) to the new drive as MBR. Then run the script and convert it to GPT. From that point, remove or add drivers as needed.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Thanks. I will try this.
For future reference:
If it starts to boot and Windows tries to fix itself, does this give any indication if it is a MBR/GPT issue? vs a drivers issue?
TeraByte Support(PP)

If Windows shows it's starting then the booting files are working up to that point. However, there are other things in converting Windows to boot up and run than just the booting files. Additionally, it's possible there are driver issues, especially when moving from a different system. I would guess a combination of those issues in your case.
skipro

Post by skipro »

I changed disk to MBR, then back to GPT. 3 OS partitions, 1 OS being the 1 in question. Bootit UEFI created a NFTS partition with the MBR bootable OS, the other 2 OSs are now Windows RE partition types. I assumed the conversion would see the OS partitions and set them up to boot. Only the 1 OS is setup to boot.
Do I have to
1) change Windows RE partition type on OS partitions?
2) create the MS.00x directories, and set the EFI to point to the other OSs? I thought this approach eliminated the need to manually do this.

Bit 55 is not checked.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Not sure why they would be WinRE type partitions. However, if they are normal partitions, you could change them to the correct type. You would need to configure the drive for BIU to manage the boot items (enable bit 55). After those changes, if the other operating systems are Windows, you should be able to use the fixboot.tbs script to fix up the booting files. For the boot items, enable the "Rename Directory" option so BIU can manage them.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Redid process. 2nd & 3rd OS partitions changed to Windows RE again. Is this me or you?
Flag 55 not checked, had to amnually do this. Is this normal?
Used fixboot. Should I select "minimum" or "full"?

Any thought in automating this fixboot process into the process of changing to GPT? That is, make changes to EFI for all OSs, add all OSs to bootedit and automatically check flag 55 and check "Rename".
TeraByte Support(PP)

What are all the partitions and types before the conversion? Also, not sure what state the drive was in prior to converting. Might make a difference how it's all handled/seen.

If BIU was configured to manage the \EFI directories when installed, bit 55 should have been set.

If the EFI System partition is small (not much free space), use minimum. Basically, with a small partition and full sets of booting files, you can usually only have a few Windows installations before you run out of space.
skipro

Post by skipro »

The OS partitions were "Data" but the 2 "non-main" OSs then change to "RE".
I converted to MBR, then GPT.
BIU was set to manage EFI partition.
BIU set EFI size to 450 MiB. How many full sets will this fit? I have 2 full, 1 min and am using 61 MiB. Does this seem right?
TeraByte Support(PP)

That sounds about right. You can fit quite a few in 450MB (the Windows default 100MB is rather limiting), especially if you add any larger files.

Are they all booting now?