IFW has weird behavior when disk space is full

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
mohankrajan

IFW has weird behavior when disk space is full

Post by mohankrajan »

IFW has the following weird behavior:
I use IFW Rotate script file to backup daily.
Suddenly a couple of days ago, I noticed that I was not getting any email after successful completion of the backup and TBInotify was showing a failed task.
Error code was shown as 207 which I did not understand.
I then realized that the destination disk was full. I couldn't determine why the disk was full all of a sudden.
I decided to recreate the same task manually via the GUO and looked at the command.
To my surprise, the param '/d:w1' was the value for the source.
On the other hand, in the Rotate file showed the same value to be "d:w1"
This is because I had installed a new SSD in my PC.
As the source was set incorrectly to a large disk, the task was taking forever and never completing.
Now the issues:
1. Why does the source stay static and not change automatically as disks are added or removed?
Other backup software I have do not have this problem as they use the same source disk regardless of changes to the partitions and disks.
2. Since the task keeps trying to backup a source drive that is large and fills up the target disk fully and hangs, the task does nothing - no email notification, no error message and no timeout or anything.
3, When I manually use taskmanager to find and kill the Image for windows process.
I am absolutely scared to use this product.

A final word, I cannot use the GUI to schedule and run tasks automatically as there is no capability to delete backups automatically to free up disk space on the target.
TeraByte Support

Re: IFW has weird behavior when disk space is full

Post by TeraByte Support »

1 - windows can change the order of drives, you choose to use drive numbers, use drive signatures instead.

2 - It wouldn't "hang" unless you didn't give it the /uy /um parameters - it would be up with a message - if in the background you wouldn't see it.

Better yet, just use Simple Operations and let the program handle it all for you.
Bob Coleman

Re: IFW has weird behavior when disk space is full

Post by Bob Coleman »

I use /uy all the time. Occasionally I get an error, mostly due to failure to cache all changed files, but I don't think I've ever had a hang. As far as I can recall, it's always terminated with a non-zero return code.

Granted that I've never had a target disk full condition so I can't say for sure what would happen in that particular error condition.