Windows 10 22H2 Upgrade hanging at 48%

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
ohaya1000

Windows 10 22H2 Upgrade hanging at 48%

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I have a Dell Precision laptop that I just got done recovering (thanks to TBU and others here!), so now I am trying to clean that up. The image I restores was from 2019, so I have been updating the Windows 10 using "Check for Updates".

The last update is the "build 22H2", which I think is pretty big and first time I ran it from Check for Updates and it hung at 48%. By hung, I mean it goes through the download, verify, installation, then it reboots and then when it is rebooting it is doing the rest of the updating (the screen with the blue background and white letters). It is showing the percentage done, which got to 48% and the got stuck. I also noticed the HD activity LED, which was blinking earlier, was now solid off.

MS has a tool you can download that will run the update and I got that, and ran that (multiple times), but exactly the same thing happened. I've tried all kinds of stuff like creating a new Windows user, etc. but it still gets stuck at exactly 48%.

Another strange thing is that if I power the machine off (which is the only way to stop it) then the machine boots into BIBM, I get a warning that some partition was created which might overlap, and sure enough in BIBM Partition Work I see a new "Recovery" partition, and BTW, everytime I do this it is creating ANOTHER Recovery partition!!

Has anyone encountered this problem before? And if so, how did you get the upgrade to finish?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support

Re: Windows 10 22H2 Upgrade hanging at 48%

Post by TeraByte Support »

just leave it for a few hours, some ms updates can take a while.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I posted/ask about this problem on one of the MS Answer forums, and the person who responded suggested holding off on the 22H2 upgrade for now, because they've apparently had problems with it.

Jim
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

ohaya1000 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:15 am Hi,

I posted/ask about this problem on one of the MS Answer forums, and the person who responded suggested holding off on the 22H2 upgrade for now, because they've apparently had problems with it.

Jim
Would you post a link to that thread?

BTW, on one of my work machines I've had Windows updates seemingly hang for more than 24 hours. However, I discovered that it was due to the large number of user accounts on that machine (at the time, over 300 accounts). It seems that with some updates, Windows has to updates the settings for every user account, so it can take quite awhile. I doubt this is an issue with you Jim, but I mention it here in case it may apply to someone else who reads this thread.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Muad'Dib wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 am
ohaya1000 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:15 am Hi,

Jim
Would you post a link to that thread?

BTW, on one of my work machines I've had Windows updates seemingly hang for more than 24 hours. However, I discovered that it was due to the large number of user accounts on that machine (at the time, over 300 accounts). It seems that with some updates, Windows has to updates the settings for every user account, so it can take quite awhile. I doubt this is an issue with you Jim, but I mention it here in case it may apply to someone else who reads this thread.

Hi,

Sorry I missed your response. Here's the thread I mentioned:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... f7578cc3c0

Jim
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Thanks for the link. However...

I'm not too sure I'd put much faith in the answer you got from this Nicole person. She's listed as an "Independent Advisor" (not an MS employee). Also, when she responded to you, she'd only been on the Microsoft board for less than a month, and her answers to a few other posts seem to be pretty generic. There may be some major bugs in the 22H2 Windows update, but I'd want to hear that from someone with a more comprehensive history of providing support.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The answer to many hanging updates is to just wait, they can be slow, leave it overnight.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

The really bad thing about the hanging is that it happens on the blue screen after the Windows has started to boot, i.e., the machine is completely unusable (and stuck at the magical 48%) for as long as I leave it hanging. So if I let it keep running like that for 3 days, that machine is unavailable for 3 days. The other bad thing is if I force a reboot, guess what it does? It UNDOES the installation attempt and so the next time, I have to start from the very beginning.

I may try it this week, since I'm on vacation... and let it sit all week :)!!

Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I started another upgrade. This is the screen after 5.5 hours + (the 5 dots are stuck now instead of being invisible):

P.S. I have been trying to paste in a 55kb image but am getting an "HTTP error" when I try that.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

I should mention that I had tried a 21H1 install/upgrade this time, but it got stuck again at 48%. However, this time, it was still stuck but when I rebooted the machine this message appeared after it undid the install:

0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation

Jim