Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
ohaya1000

Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I have a Dell 7510 with 2 drives: HD0 is a 1TB SSD and HD1 is a1TB HD. I was running Windows 10 Pro.

I was editing some pictures (stored on an external HD) yesterday and the system hung and when I rebooted it said it couldn't boot and took me to the recovery page.

I have some images that I had made using BIBM (which uses IFD I think). The most recent one was from 12/2021 (!!).

So I tried to do a restore from that image (actually a bunch of times already) and the actual imaging run completes successfully, and the boot setup in BIBM looks ok, but when I boot to Windows, I get the Dell logo first, then the Windows 4 blue squares, and then it hangs on a black screen.

i am in the process of trying to do a restore with an older image now but had a couple of questions:

- When I go through the image restore dialog and it show the page with the partition to restore it is showing 2 partitions, both checked:

- one says "Partial"
- the other has my partition name "Win10Pro" or something like that.

Am I supposed to uncheck the partial one???

Also after I click through that, I am getting a popup saying that a partition may be overwritten.

I will post back after the older image finishes.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya1000

Re: Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

The older/smaller image restore finished but the same thing happens when I try to boot:

- 4 blue square with the spinning circle below it for awhile, then
- black screen

The hard drive LED blinks for awhile, then goes off completely.

Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

This whole mess has been much worst than just that not being able to boot that laptop:

- I have another newer laptop (a Dell Vostro) that I got last Christmas, but never really used, so when the old Dell crashed, I started trying to move my data over to the Vostro. I pulled the drive off of the original Dell (a Precision) and put it into a USB dock and was looking around the drive on the Vostro, but suddenly the drive disappeared. Mind you the drive has years of files including documents as well as our Quicken data back to 1985!!

Needless to say, I was kind of panicking at that point :(...

So it "felt" kind of wrong that the drive had just disappeared like that... I wasn't a hundred percent convinced that the drive was dead. Meanwhile, I just ordered a new 1TB M.2 SSD to try to replace the SSD in the Precision, in hopes that that might be the cause of the Precision not being able to boot off of the restored images.

So, while waiting for Amazon (same day delivery!) to deliver the SSD, I was trying the data drive in several different enclosures and docks, and at one point, I ran out of USB ports, so I had to unplug something... and I decided to unplug one of my SDCARD USB readers (a Sandisk UHS-II reader), then, all of a sudden, the data drive started appearing!!

It looks like that Sandisk reader was somehow "blocking" the data drive from appearing. A couple of times, I *THOUGHT* that I had seen 2 G: drives appear, and now I think that was what was happening. That Sandisk reader has always seemed a little flaky to me... it actually takes 2 hard drive letters for itself for some reason.

I am now in the process of backing up about 500GB of data from the data drive to a big external drive and simultaneously watching Amazon's tracking :).

I *REALLY* hope that when I replace the SSD, that the images will start working again :(!!

Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

Can someone answer the following question(s) I had posted above:

- When I go through the image restore dialog and it show the page with the partition to restore it is showing 2 partitions, both checked:

- one says "Partial"
- the other has my partition name "Win10Pro" or something like that.

Am I supposed to uncheck the partial one???

Also after I click through that, I am getting a popup saying that a partition may be overwritten.

The SSD just arrived and I am going to make a newer install of BIBM and use that.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Got the new 1TB SSD in.

Used MakeDisk to create a BIBM installer on a USB stick then tried to install BIBM but ran in to a problem... BIBM was seeing only a single 7.84MB partition and not the full 1TB.

I found this thread and followed what fre did (use BIBM to create a 1024MB partition on the SSD, then install BIBM to that 1024MB partition, and it worked!! I was able to boot to BIBM and see an approx 1TB space.

So I've started a restore from the 2021 image and will wait to see if that Windows will boot :(..
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

FYI, here's a pic of the page with the "Partial" in the partitions and then the popup that appears above overlap.
that popup appears regardless of whether or not I check the "Partial" checkbox.

Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Sorry I keep getting an HTTP Error when I try to attach the file :(...
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

I uploaded the pic to google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15YNNxF ... share_link
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

partial means means you didn't do an entire drive backup, but only of certain partitions (sounds like one). If there are dependencies there could be a problem, but since you had problems show up before restoring, you may want to run memory tests on the system with something like memtest+. It could be an issue when booting even if restored without problem. You may also want to go in to osdtool.tbs and choose to install standard drivers as perhaps windows was hibernated when backed up (fast startup enabled and did a shutdown before backup). Or boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /f on the drive. Or use osdtool to uninstall existing drivers, then install standard drivers, let windows reinstall its drivers.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

What about that popup about the "target would overlap"?

BTW, the restore finished but the same thing happened. Boots, gets the 4 blue squares and then black screen.

I think that, at this point, I am going to just try do a clean windows install and see what happens.

Thanks,
Jim