Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TeraByte Support

Re: Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

Post by TeraByte Support »

Because it's trying to restore the original to the same place but something is already there that isn't the exact same location. Since you only backed up a single partition, that's all you can restore - so you might as well just tick that.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I ended up cleaning the entire SSD, installing BIBM 1.68, and then installing Win 10 Pro in a new partition and Windows is running fine now, but going to have to re-install a bunch of stuff.

I guess the thing I am worried about now is "Why was Windows not able to boot after I did the restore?". I tried multiple different TBI images, from 2021, going back to 2018 (also the TBI files were on several different drives, so I don't think the TBI files got corrupted) and the same thing happened on all of the restores: The restore was successful, but then when I rebooted, I got the Dell logo, then the Windows 4 blue squares with the spinner below, and then a black screen. The Precision laptop actually has a HD activity LED and when I get to the black screen, the HD LED is not lit or blinking at all.

Is it possible that the images were done but then the BIBM/IFD that I was using for the restores were incompatible? I think the version of BIBM I had on that machine, and which I was using for the restores, was like 1.73 or something like that.

(the one I installed now/last night, before the new fresh Windows 10 install is 1.86).

Jim
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

ohaya1000 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm
I guess the thing I am worried about now is "Why was Windows not able to boot after I did the restore?".
I certainly don't know, but I want to clarify are the backups of the same computer being restored to. If so, have there been any significant hardware changes to the computer since the backup was done?

Were you previously using BIBM to boot Windows or only to create backups?
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Bob,

I've been thinking about this, kind of along the lines of your questions. So the things I know for sure are that all the images were created on the same machine (Dell Precision laptop). I know for sure that the machine has always been using EMBR/MBR partitions (never had a drive > 2TB).

I've had the machine for awhile, from my records, I bought the laptop in 2016, so I am sure over that time that I've used BING and even IFW and maybe even IFL for imaging, but what was installed ON the machine (the Precision) was BIBM 1.73, I think.

The latest TBI file was from 12/2021 (so a year old).

Is there a way to tell what app created the TBI?

Would I be safer doing image backup and restore using either IFW or maybe?

What makes all of this more concerning is that I now have one laptop (the new Dell Vostro) that is using BIU, and the older Precision, now using BIBM 1.84.

I think for myself I'd prefer not having to worry about what created the image and what is going to restore the image, so would I be safer doing image backup and restore using either IFW or maybe even IFL?

The only reason I started using the IFD in BING and BIBM was because it was more convenient.

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I have a question: So I found some images that I *think* were created by BING (not BIBM). I also have one CD that has bootable BING 1.87, and I tested and the Precision can boot BING 1.87 from the CD.

Now, the Precision has BIBM 1.84 installed on it, and the partitions on the HD0 SSD were all created by that BIBM, so I was wondering, can I:

a) Use BIBM to create a 250GB partition on the HD0 SSD
b) Boot the Precision to BING 1.87 CD, then
c) Use BING 1.87 to image-restore the BING-created TBI image to partition that got created at (a) above?

And would the restored image Windows 10 be bootable?

Jim
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Ack :(!! I just tried what I described above, but when I am browsing for the image files while in BING 1.87, it is not showing any files in the dir that contains a bunch of .TBI files.

Sigh...

Jim
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Did you run osdtool.tbs and do something like install standard drivers? did you ever try booting Windows in safe mode?
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I didn't do the first thing you mentioned, but I did try booting the Windows to safe mode, but it never output anything (just the blue squares with the spinner then black screen).

FYI, I was doing some reading and I think the .TBI files were not created by BING, so the only other thing I can think of is they may've been created by IFW. I know I had IFW and the backup and restore collection installed on the Dell Precision, because I kept getting notifications on that machine.

So I tried to download IFW but I can't seem to get it from the customer portal. I just sent support an email asking about that.

Jim
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

ohaya1000 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm "Why was Windows not able to boot after I did the restore?".
Jim,

It's probably because you were restoring to different hardware and didn't use the OSDTool to remove all drivers prior to the first boot from the restored Windows.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I have probably been ignoring the osdtool.tbs thing that you all have been mentioning because I have never used that, plus I am not sure how the hardware would've changed.

Would a different SSD brand (original was Dell M.2 SSD, and the new one is a WD M.2 SSD) make a difference?

Can someone explain what that means? Where do I get that and also how to use it to do what you suggested?

Thanks,
Jim