IFL cloning - new computer says Invalid Boot Device
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:07 pm
Background:
2 laptops, old & new, both Dell though different product lines.
Old is running a 2tb NVMe Win 10.
New came with a 1tb NVMe Win11.
I purchased a a brand new 2tb NVMe (better, faster than the one in the Old).
The problems:
The new 2tb is a few bytes smaller than the Old one so a direct clone doesn't work, complaining that it's too small. But there's lots of free space so I opted to compact it then restore & resize. It restores without problem so I boot it up in the Old laptop & verify it's working. Then I pop it into the New laptop. But New laptop says there's no boot device. It does see the drive in BIOS. But no matter what I do, I can't get it to get to a state where I can even run a repair on Windows if it came to it. The New laptop has a BIOS I'm not yet that familiar with and has quite a few more options than I've used in the past.
Things I've tried:
Disabled SecureBoot & enabled it for a few different iterations of the below
Disabled Microsoft UEFI CA
Changed Secure Boot Mode to Audit Mode instead of Deployed
Cleared the TPM & returned it to default state
Replaced the EFI partition with the one from the New laptop's original drive
Copied all of the non-OS partitions from the New laptop's original drive then restored in the OS partition from the Old laptop.
If I run a Win10 installation media run the BootRec commands, it doesn't show any operating systems, so I can't use that to repair any partition pointers.
I haven't turned TPM off outright. I also have not yet put the Old laptop drive directly in the New laptop. I'm pretty much out of ideas here. Any other things you can think of? I have licenses for all of the products so if I need to switch from IFL to one of the others, I can do that.
2 laptops, old & new, both Dell though different product lines.
Old is running a 2tb NVMe Win 10.
New came with a 1tb NVMe Win11.
I purchased a a brand new 2tb NVMe (better, faster than the one in the Old).
The problems:
The new 2tb is a few bytes smaller than the Old one so a direct clone doesn't work, complaining that it's too small. But there's lots of free space so I opted to compact it then restore & resize. It restores without problem so I boot it up in the Old laptop & verify it's working. Then I pop it into the New laptop. But New laptop says there's no boot device. It does see the drive in BIOS. But no matter what I do, I can't get it to get to a state where I can even run a repair on Windows if it came to it. The New laptop has a BIOS I'm not yet that familiar with and has quite a few more options than I've used in the past.
Things I've tried:
Disabled SecureBoot & enabled it for a few different iterations of the below
Disabled Microsoft UEFI CA
Changed Secure Boot Mode to Audit Mode instead of Deployed
Cleared the TPM & returned it to default state
Replaced the EFI partition with the one from the New laptop's original drive
Copied all of the non-OS partitions from the New laptop's original drive then restored in the OS partition from the Old laptop.
If I run a Win10 installation media run the BootRec commands, it doesn't show any operating systems, so I can't use that to repair any partition pointers.
I haven't turned TPM off outright. I also have not yet put the Old laptop drive directly in the New laptop. I'm pretty much out of ideas here. Any other things you can think of? I have licenses for all of the products so if I need to switch from IFL to one of the others, I can do that.