Huge performance difference between Bootit BM and Bootit UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
padriaan

Huge performance difference between Bootit BM and Bootit UEFI

Post by padriaan »

I have a HP Deskpro 600 which supports both BIOS legacy and UEFI booting.
I prefer the BIOS legacy method and have installed Bootit BM. This works fine as I can create partions and install and boot operating systems.

However when I try to copy a partition or make an image with Bootit BM / Image for DOS the performance is very poor (more than 15 minutes for a 30 Gb partition).

The HP supports NVME SSD's and I have installed a M.2 NVME PCIe SSD. The SSD speed in Windows and Linux on this HP is great: read max. 3300 Mb/s and write speed 1800 Mb/s.

But I do not get this performance in Bootit BM. The device driver in Bootit BM seems not optimzed for my configuration. I have tried different settings like BIOS and BIOS direct, but the copy/image performance is poor.

I do not want to install Bootit UEFI but I have tested the performance using Bootit EUFI.
And to my suprise there are no issues here. Full use of the SSD speed.

I don't understand what is causing the difference in performance. I have tested with the latest versions of Booit BM and Bootit UEFI.

Did I miss an option in Bootit BM? I have kept everything default.
Why is Bootit BM so slow, whereas Bootit EUFI has no problems?

For now I keep Bootit BM installed and use an USB Stick with Bootit UEFI to do partition work when I need to.

Any help or advise is welcome.
TeraByte Support

Re: Huge performance difference between Bootit BM and Bootit UEFI

Post by TeraByte Support »

The BIOS may be using PIO instead of UDMA, you could use BIOS (direct) and if it can access it directly, it will, and use UDMA. However afterwards may have to reboot if the BIOS attempt to access the HD locks up.
Bob Coleman

Re: Huge performance difference between Bootit BM and Bootit UEFI

Post by Bob Coleman »

In my experience, IFD (Image for DOS) which I'm pretty sure is integrated into BIBM has always been slow. For imaging and restoring, I stopped using BIBM/IFD long ago and always use IFW or IFL.