Page 1 of 2
Copy Win10
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:40 pm
by Friendly
Hello,
I know I was able to do this in the past and I actually did several times, copy OS Win 10 from SATA 2.5" to Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe and would boot no problem, but this time I get BSOD.
Source drive is Samsung 256GB SATA 3 and destination is 980 pro 1TB. I would select to "Scale to Fit" and " Change Disk ID and GUIDs", am I forgetting something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Btw. I'm running the latest IFW 3.53
Thank you
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:30 pm
by TeraByte Support
Run osdtool.tbs and choose the option to install the default NVMe driver built-in to Windows 10.
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 pm
by Friendly
Will do.
Thank you very much
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:25 pm
by Friendly
Didn't work. Also, drivers are already installed by default on Win 10. I remember doing this few months ago without fuss. All I did was change those few settings I mentioned above and would boot, I don't understand. Unless I am mistaking and I was cloning from 2.5 SSD to the same type drive, I could bet I did clone from to M.2 NVMe but now second guessing myself.
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 pm
by Brian K
Friendly,
Are you using BootIt? BIBM or BIU?
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:46 am
by TeraByte Support
NVMe isn't always installed unless you have NVMe drives on the system. You would restore, then without trying to boot, run osdtool over the restored partition, choose option to install NVMe driver, then boot to it. I presume you're not using bitlocker. If you have another SSD you could restore to it as well as a test to ensure it's with the NVMe driver missing...
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 am
by Friendly
Brian K wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 pm
Friendly,
Are you using BootIt? BIBM or BIU?
Hi Brian,
I apologize for sluggish responds, kids and wife... life
Yes I use BootIt BUI.
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:06 am
by Friendly
TeraByte Support wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:46 am
NVMe isn't always installed unless you have NVMe drives on the system. You would restore, then without trying to boot, run osdtool over the restored partition, choose option to install NVMe driver, then boot to it. I presume you're not using bitlocker. If you have another SSD you could restore to it as well as a test to ensure it's with the NVMe driver missing...
No I don't use Bitlocker. I'm not 100% sure, but think I know what I did months ago, I will try that again and report back. It made me think about this when you mentioned another SSD and restoring.
I could be wrong but I will try something else first, then I will shout back here again with my results.
Thus far, IFW has been working flawlessly and I love every bit of it.
Thank you
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:53 am
by Friendly
It worked!!
I still don't know why worked this way but not the other meaning by doing copy, I assume drivers related. I backed up 2.5" SATA III SSD Windows 10 OS then used restored to NVMe while selecting "Scale to Fit" and " Change Disk ID and GUIDs"
Copy function works always without glitch but from HDD-HDD, SSD-SSD or NVMe to NVMe, otherwise I remember trying this for a while months ago and at the time this was the only way worked for me, which is still great.
Thank you guys for willingness to help.
Re: Copy Win10
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 am
by Brian K
Friendly, that's good news.
Another method you could consider next time is Copy in BIU. It will create a Boot Item for you as well.