Copy Win10

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Friendly

Copy Win10

Post by Friendly »

Hello,
I know I was able to do this in the past and I actually did several times, copy OS Win 10 from SATA 2.5" to Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe and would boot no problem, but this time I get BSOD.

Source drive is Samsung 256GB SATA 3 and destination is 980 pro 1TB. I would select to "Scale to Fit" and " Change Disk ID and GUIDs", am I forgetting something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Btw. I'm running the latest IFW 3.53
Thank you
Last edited by Friendly on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: Copy Win10

Post by TeraByte Support »

Run osdtool.tbs and choose the option to install the default NVMe driver built-in to Windows 10.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Will do.
Thank you very much
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Didn't work. Also, drivers are already installed by default on Win 10. I remember doing this few months ago without fuss. All I did was change those few settings I mentioned above and would boot, I don't understand. Unless I am mistaking and I was cloning from 2.5 SSD to the same type drive, I could bet I did clone from to M.2 NVMe but now second guessing myself.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Friendly,

Are you using BootIt? BIBM or BIU?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

NVMe isn't always installed unless you have NVMe drives on the system. You would restore, then without trying to boot, run osdtool over the restored partition, choose option to install NVMe driver, then boot to it. I presume you're not using bitlocker. If you have another SSD you could restore to it as well as a test to ensure it's with the NVMe driver missing...
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Brian K wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 pm Friendly,

Are you using BootIt? BIBM or BIU?
Hi Brian,
I apologize for sluggish responds, kids and wife... life :lol:
Yes I use BootIt BUI.
Last edited by Friendly on Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

TeraByte Support wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:46 am NVMe isn't always installed unless you have NVMe drives on the system. You would restore, then without trying to boot, run osdtool over the restored partition, choose option to install NVMe driver, then boot to it. I presume you're not using bitlocker. If you have another SSD you could restore to it as well as a test to ensure it's with the NVMe driver missing...
No I don't use Bitlocker. I'm not 100% sure, but think I know what I did months ago, I will try that again and report back. It made me think about this when you mentioned another SSD and restoring.
I could be wrong but I will try something else first, then I will shout back here again with my results.
Thus far, IFW has been working flawlessly and I love every bit of it.

Thank you
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

It worked!!

I still don't know why worked this way but not the other meaning by doing copy, I assume drivers related. I backed up 2.5" SATA III SSD Windows 10 OS then used restored to NVMe while selecting "Scale to Fit" and " Change Disk ID and GUIDs"

Copy function works always without glitch but from HDD-HDD, SSD-SSD or NVMe to NVMe, otherwise I remember trying this for a while months ago and at the time this was the only way worked for me, which is still great.
Thank you guys for willingness to help.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Friendly, that's good news.

Another method you could consider next time is Copy in BIU. It will create a Boot Item for you as well.