How to restore DEFAULT.BUM?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Gary Seven

How to restore DEFAULT.BUM?

Post by Gary Seven »

Can't believe I did this. Today I updated my Fedora 36 installation, and one of the update packages updated the Fedora bootloader. So when I rebooted my machine I see in my Bootit UEFI boot menu an extra entry for Fedora. I went to delete that new entry, and went ahead and deleted my damn DEFAULT. BUM entry instead. Now, all my Boot Items are gone (of course).

How do I restore DEFAULT.BUM? I have backups of all my various Linux installations, plus I have backed up my ESP as well. I use IFL as my general backup tool, but can't figure out how to do just a one file restore (in this case, DEFAULT.BUM) back to it's original location. Tbdi (I think it's called that) doesn't seem to let me chose that particular backup image to then find and choose the file I want to restore.

Can someone help me here? Of course I could restore the entire ESP partition but I hesitate to do that as I'm afraid that may cause other issues. Thank you.
Last edited by Gary Seven on Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Seven

Re: How to restore DEFAULT.BUM?

Post by Gary Seven »

<mistake 2nd post, unable to delete>
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Gary,

I restore the ESP frequently (testing), no problems. It should fix your issue.
Gary Seven

Post by Gary Seven »

Brian K wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 am Gary,

I restore the ESP frequently (testing), no problems. It should fix your issue.
Thanks Brian. So I went ahead and did that and it turns out my backup was a little older than I thought, so I'm missing the boot loader/EFI entry for my Fedora install (all my other OS's are back in the Boot Menu). I almost hate to ask this question, but how do I reestablish the Fedora EFI boot item? Do I use a Fedore live iso, mount the /boot/efi partition and reinstall the boot loader from there (obviously pointing it towards my EFI/boot drive /dev/sdb, which is different from where Fedora / and /home are installed which is /dev/sde)?

Not sure where to go from here as I'm dealing with BootIt UEFI and not just reinstalling a boot loader to a local (or same) partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Gary, that's nasty. So you have a Fedora Boot Item that doesn't boot Fedora?
In the Boot Item, does the Boot File field show something like...
\EFI\fedora.001\shimx64.efi

Is fedora.001 present in C:\EFI (BIU scripting)

The following works in Ubuntu/Mint. It builds a ubuntu.xxx. I don't know if it works for Fedora.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/831216/ ... -partition

Maybe you need to restore to something you know works. The ESP and Fedora partitions from your latest backup.
Gary Seven

Post by Gary Seven »

Brian, nothing in your previous post really applied to my issue. My efi boot entry was wiped by me (accidently) and the ESP was backed up before I installed Fedora, so no joy there. Also, the link you provided doesn't apply in the case of Fedora so again, no joy. I will now open a new topic to explain how this was solved, and the work it entailed. Thanks again for your efforts! :)