Partition Restore Failure, IFW TBWinRE, "Unable Write First Track"
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:49 am
Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Windows 10 Pro, routinely updated
Machine NOT BOOTABLE, REGISTRY_ERROR BSoD boot loop
Trying to restore Windows partition only (1 of 2 on drive)
Partition is BitLocker encrypted
I have a recent full partition backup via TBWinRE with BitLocker suspended, "Read from volume".
I have a recent incremental backup via Image for Windows, booted into Windows.
I also have a full backup (IFW TBWinRE) of the failed partition the in that state (assumes all data preserved?).
I can/have used the Manage-bde commmand to unlock the partition before restore attempts.
All current restore attempts fail ERROR: "Unable to write first track", including:
-- Automatic restore from incremental back.
-- Normal restore from incremental backup (Multi-pass, Set active, Update boot, Restore first track).
-- Automatic restore from last full backup.
At one early point, a Normal restore with select options (including muti-pass) failed at the end with 2 successive errors:
1. Unable to update entry.
2. Boot entry cleared.
I cannot run CHKDSK /F because the "volume is write protected".
"Diskpart failed to clear disk attribute" when attempting "clear readonly".
DISKPART attributes disk displays:
Current Read-only State:Yes
Read-only: No
CHKDSK "scanned the file system and found no problems".
Can anyone suggest steps I might try to restore the Thinkpad to a working state?
Machine NOT BOOTABLE, REGISTRY_ERROR BSoD boot loop
Trying to restore Windows partition only (1 of 2 on drive)
Partition is BitLocker encrypted
I have a recent full partition backup via TBWinRE with BitLocker suspended, "Read from volume".
I have a recent incremental backup via Image for Windows, booted into Windows.
I also have a full backup (IFW TBWinRE) of the failed partition the in that state (assumes all data preserved?).
I can/have used the Manage-bde commmand to unlock the partition before restore attempts.
All current restore attempts fail ERROR: "Unable to write first track", including:
-- Automatic restore from incremental back.
-- Normal restore from incremental backup (Multi-pass, Set active, Update boot, Restore first track).
-- Automatic restore from last full backup.
At one early point, a Normal restore with select options (including muti-pass) failed at the end with 2 successive errors:
1. Unable to update entry.
2. Boot entry cleared.
I cannot run CHKDSK /F because the "volume is write protected".
"Diskpart failed to clear disk attribute" when attempting "clear readonly".
DISKPART attributes disk displays:
Current Read-only State:Yes
Read-only: No
CHKDSK "scanned the file system and found no problems".
Can anyone suggest steps I might try to restore the Thinkpad to a working state?