Resolutions not selectable

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TeraByte Support

Re: Resolutions not selectable

Post by TeraByte Support »

it has to be added internally because it emulates a larger video support subset across different platforms.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

odos wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:14 pm I tried using “list uefi videomodes” and it lists all the resolutions I can select and then two extra that I cannot select namely

Mode 005 1600 x 1200
And
Mode 006 1920 x 1440
On systems I checked, Mode 000 is the native resolution. So, on 4K, it shows as Mode 000 (first one in list). Since you have a 4K monitor and are not seeing 4K in the list, I'm curious what's different.

Example:
Mode:000 3840x2160
Mode:001 640x480
Mode:002 800x600
Mode:003 1024x768
Mode:004 1280x1024
Mode:005 1600x1200
Mode:006 1920x1440
odos

Post by odos »

What’s different is that I’m going senile in my old age :oops: . I checked with “ list uefi videomodes “again and your right my list is exactly the same as your seeing.

Mode:000 3840x2160
Mode:001 640x480
Mode:002 800x600
Mode:003 1024x768
Mode:004 1280x1024
Mode:005 1600x1200
Mode:006 1920x1440

I didn’t even look at the beginning of the list assuming they were in ascending order as they came down the list.

As there are some higher resolutions listed that I cannot see or select in “Display Options” I’m assuming those resolutions are available to me somehow, if that’s the case how do I select and make BootIt use the higher resolutions listed ?
TeraByte Support(PP)

The 4K resolution is supported but it must be selected manually by editing the bootit.ini file (pages 63/64 in manual). In the [Video] section, set Mode=50 for 4K.
odos

Post by odos »

Thank you, setting mode to 50 does give me the full 3840 x 2160 resolution, I thought I’d read the User Guide but obviously I had not.

One downside of using the full resolution is that it freezes the machine for two to three seconds as the screen redraws when it first enters BootIt or each time you make a selection. Is this normal?

Another related question if you can tell me, I’ve searched the user guide but can’t find it but what modes do I have to set to get mode 005 1600 x 1200 and mode 006 1920 x 1440, Or does BootIt not support these two resolutions?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Drawing can be slower on the higher resolutions, especially when drawing the entire screen area. Can you elaborate on the delay you see when you "make a selection"? Do you mean when you select a boot menu item (and it draws on exit)?

To me, at 4K, while the full screen redraws are slower (one second or a little more), it seems normal for using the dialogs, controls, etc.

As mentioned previously, those other resolutions would need to be added to allow them to be selected. They are currently not available.
TeraByte Support(PP)

You could also try using the alternate video method. It seems to be about twice as fast on the screen redraws on a system I checked. You would need to edit the bootit.ini file and set Mode=0 in the [Video] section. Reboot into BIU after changing the file. If it doesn't work, you'll need to change it back to Mode=1.
odos

Post by odos »

I have tried running with Video Method 1 and Method 0 and there is no difference between how BootItUI works. When using 3840 x 2160 resolution BootItUI starts with a blank blue screen for between one and two seconds. The selected background image then appears rolling down from the top. I would estimate it takes about a quarter of a second to reach the bottom of the screen.

If I select something, either to boot an OS or Maintenance using either mouse or keyboard the screen freezes for between four and five seconds, I know this because the mouse pointer is frozen in place, and I timed the delay with a stopwatch. After this time the screen clears and either the selected OS boots as normal and at normal speed or I enter Maintenance mode.

In Maintenance mode everything but Resume works at normal speed, except scripting doesn’t work but that is a problem discussed in another thread.

If Resume is selected there is again the four to five second delay where the screen freezes and then it blanks and the selected background image appears from the top as before then the boot options appear.

I tried running BootItUI in 3840 x 2160 resolution without a background image and it works as you say with less than a second delay with anything. It appears from this, that BootIt struggles with the higher resolutions images as a background.

Just tried it with a different graphics card with exactly the same results. Can I ask, when you say you have less than a second delay, is that when using a background image or without?
TeraByte Support(PP)

My times were with a 4k background image (file size 24.4MB). I get a small mouse snag occasionally, but nothing like you describe.

Is there a BIOS update for the system? You could try that if there is one since they may have fixed (or reduced) some of the issues.

Otherwise, you may be stuck using a lower resolution or no background image.
odos

Post by odos »

The images I am using range in size from 14.3MB to 30.9MB so no help there. Nor I’m afraid is there going to be any bios updates for my motherboard as it’s getting on a bit now, I built this machine in 2018, with an Asrock board that Asrock last put out any type of update for at the end of 2018.

Oh well it is what it is, I have the choice to use 4k and put up with delays or use smaller res images. To be honest I've written a very, very simple script to change the background everyday so if I cannot get BootItUI to run a tbscript without manual intervention in UEFI I think I’ll forget about UEFI completely and stick with low res but dependable BIOS, at least using that on my machine everything works as it’s supposed to.

Thanks for you’ve time spent helping me with this.
:)