Ubuntu won't boot

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
RFSndrs

Ubuntu won't boot

Post by RFSndrs »

I have a Dell laptop with Ubuntu and Win 10 installed. I wanted to try Linux Mint so I went into BIU and then booted into the Linux Mint install flash drive. I used the LM install menu with Something Else. I installed the grub into EFI as suggested. When I rebooted I had to reinstall BIU, not activate (don't know why) but I did. Now I get the grub> prompt. I went back into BIU and selected the old Ubuntu.001 and grub and it did the same thing. How can I fix this?
Brian K

Re: Ubuntu won't boot

Post by Brian K »

Bob, did you install Mint into a partition on the NVMe drive? Any other partitions used for the install, such as Home or Swap? Did the install create an ubuntu.002 folder?

Did Ubuntu boot before Mint was installed? Now if stalls on a grub screen?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

RFSndrs wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:44 am I went into BIU and then booted into the Linux Mint install flash drive.
I don't know how to solve this, but I don't understand what that means.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian, Yes, I installed it onto the NVMe drive. (This is my Dell, not my Wife's HP. I have a NVMe and HDD on it.) I installed the /(root) and /home partitions. I used the existing Ubuntu swap for my LM swap. I used LM GParted to do this. As I said, I installed grub in the ESP partition. It created a ubuntu folder. No numbers after. I tried setting boot in the boot menu to ubuntu.001 (my Ubuntu partition) and it came up with the grub> prompt also. I went back to the ubuntu and it also came up with the grub> prompt. This is all in the Ubuntu menu as BIU didn't make a LM (Ubuntu) menu for me. I deleted the LM partitions and it is the same. Now Ubuntu doesn't work at all.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, sorry, I'm not familiar with what you have done. My Linux install method is much simpler. I just have a root partition. No home or Swap partition. Each Linux install creates an ubuntu.xxx or debian.xxx, etc.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

OK. From my point of view, the only different thing I have done is create a /home partition along with the root partition. I did not create the swap as it already existed from my Ubuntu install. I guess my only choice is to reinstall Ubuntu, but I DO want a /home partition. If you recall, BIU did not assign a number on my wife's laptop either. TB came on to say if it didn't assign a number don't worry about it, or words to that effect.