How to boot new drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
RFSndrs

Re: How to boot new drive

Post by RFSndrs »

I can't get a GUI on my IFL flash drive. It boots to a GUI selection menu and no matter which one I select it comes to a screen with:
Loading vmlinuz ...
Loading initrmfs.gz ...
_
and stops. I have let it go for 2 minutes or so and still nothing new happens. Secure boot is disabled.
Why do I have to use IFL rather than BIU? .... Do I need the driver in BIU also?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

OSDTool isn't on BIU.
But you can manually copy the osdtool.tbs to the
efi\bootit folder on your BIU flash drive.
Boot into Maintenance. Click Run. osdtool.tbs
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

For IFL, use the x64 version of the boot disk.

You can use the IFL boot disk as well.

You can download tbosdt by itself as well, it does need the windows version available in some causes with the osdtool.tbs in order to complete driver installs within windows (after the boot).
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian – Yesterday was a somewhat successful but frustrating day again. You answered why I should use IFL rather than BIU but gave me no reason why my IFL flash wouldn’t boot. Rather than going through all of that troubleshooting, I decided to download the Win10 Install from Microsoft from her computer and flashed it to a 16GB flash drive. I then reinstalled her NVMe which I had removed the night before. I booted into my BIU flash drive and deleted all on her NVMe drive. I disconnected the HDD and booted from the Win10 Install flash drive. At this point I have only the NVMe and Win10 Install flash drive connected. It installed and I started updating, a long process as it was a fresh install. About half way through I decided to install BIU which I did and it booted into Windows just fine. I then finished updating, installed Firefox, Thunderbird, and a PDF reader. I set Thunderbird up so she can get her email and pretty much had everything working. At this point I then powered down and reconnected her HDD. I booted into BIU and deleted the Microsoft Reserved partition and ESP from the HDD. I kept the old Windows partition as I thought it would come up as a partition and I could salvage some data off it. When I booted into Windows from the BIU on her NVMe it booted into the old screen “inaccessible boot drive”. It was 5:30 and I was pissed. I uninstalled BIU from the NVMe and disconnected the HD. When I rebooted the NVMe a Windows 10 repair came up so I let it do its thing. It will now boot into the fresh Windows with nothing else on the NVMe. I have not tried to boot this configuration with the HDD installed. I have lost confidence in BIU both as a backup application and now as a Boot Manager.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

OK I think I may have found my problem. When I did the image of her HDD it (Windows) had a problem where it wouldn't shutdown. Hence, I decided to do the fresh install as I googled the heck out of it but came up with no answers. Today, when I reconnected the HDD to the NVMe and rebooted into my BIU flash drive it said my Windows was in hibernation. It said it yesterday also, but I blew it off saying "I know it was shutdown before I rebooted." So I'm thinking the Windows on the HDD won't let me boot because it is in hibernation. Is this possible?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob our internet has been out for several days. Floods.

I understand if you have the NVMe drive installed and the HD not connected, you can boot Win10. I gather BIU isn't installed. That's ok.

Boot your BIU flash drive (after connecting the HD) and delete the ESP on the HD. Restart and Win10 should boot. Let us know if that's the case so far.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian - While you were fighting floods, I tried that and got the same error message. After much tinkering, I have solved my problem. I cleaned out a 750GB HDD and installed it in her computer in place of the other HDD. When I rebooted it showed up and I finished up converting it to a DATA drive and all is well. I put the 1TB drive in an adapter and GParted cleaned it and it now seems OK. Don't know what was wrong, but it works OK so far. See my next topic.
matlabhoga

Post by matlabhoga »

How did you copy the OS onto the NVMe drive? In BIU Partition Work? Did it create a Boot Item. get-vidmateapp.com mobdro download