How to boot new drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: How to boot new drive

Post by Brian K »

Bob, a very frustrating situation. You don't have a time issue so would you like to try this? Stage one.

Create an image to external media. eg USB hard drive. Image the first 3 partitions on the HD...
16 MB MSR
ESP
Windows

Backup these 3 partitions to a single image.

Remove the HD. Just have the NVMe drive installed.

Restore the image to the empty NVMe drive. In the Restore Options screen, put a tick in "Change GUID".

You will probably need to reinstall BIU. Does Windows boot? You might have to install a NVMe driver if Windows doesn't boot. Let us know.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Not sure what you mean by "Backup these 3 partitions to a single image." The rest I can do.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Let's say you are using IFW. On the "Select the hard drive or partitions to backup" window, put a tick in the following 3 boxes....

16 MB MSR
ESP
Windows

IFW will create a single TBI image. Not 3 images.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You can install a NVMe driver from the OSDTool.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

I am using BIU to backup but did not find anywhere in the options to "Change GUID". I scrolled through them twice. Anyway, what you described is how I usually do it but never thought of it as a single image. I made the image to an external 1TB USB drive and opened the case. I unplugged the HD and restored three images to the NVMe. Since I was in BIU flash disk, I just reactivated it when done. I then unplugged the external USB and removed the flash drive. It booted into the BIU menu and then into a HP logo with the "cyclone" (as I call it) and eventually went to a Windows error screen which said "inaccessible boot device". This is where I am at. I rebooted a couple of times to the same Windows error screen.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

sounds like you need to add the NVMe driver via osdtool.tbs (it will be listed if using Win10 so you just need to install it without having to download extra, if Win7 you'll need to get the drivers to install).
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

It looks promising. Have you used the OSDTool yet?

Change GUID is a Restore option, not a Backup option. It's not essential so don't be concerned.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

I started looking through on how to do it via the osdtool and decided to go the normal route. I wiped the NVMe, replugged the HD in and booted into Windows. I downloaded the NVMe driver for Western Digital and installed it. I then reimaged the drive, unplugged it and restored the image in the NVMe. Same message "inaccessible boot device".
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Your answer came in as I was doing the above, so I did not check the Change GUID option.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I use OSDTool on the IFL boot disk. It's an icon in the dock...

OSDTool
Physical Drive
Win10
Install drivers
Install default NVM Express Controller

Exit from the tool and restart. Fingers crossed.