Rough Time with BootIt UEFI and Windows 10

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Damion888

Re: Rough Time with BootIt UEFI and Windows 10

Post by Damion888 »

Nice.
I'll hide the OS's.
Thanks a lot for the coaching, mate. I'm not sure exactly which point(s) sorted the weird issue I was having, but I'm working. Now going for Win10 #2 and Win11. Cheers!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I'm sure you won't but if you forget "Add to Boot Menu" you won't get a Boot Item. Then you have to manually create a Microsoft.xxx.
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

Currently in Windows 11. Updating everything.
Going to have to go back through the tutorial you made me to make sure I get everything :P

All I've got now is a base install of each 10 and 11.

11 should have worked it's own form of Microsoft Magic and created it's own: Microsoft.xxx, I'm hoping.
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

But, maybe I just learned a lesson and it didn't :p

I actually made the partition in the Windows Installer, again. Maybe another lesson learned. We'll see.

I should have created it in BIU, I reckon, and then installed to it. I think I'm a little gun shy of MS not being able to install to the partition made in BIU. I really think that every problem I had, was probably due to the 2 Bootable Flash Drives, and maybe one BIOS setting. Since then, this is all working like BIBM/BING.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Damion888 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:25 pm
This seems like a lot of work to do to use the more modern UEFI as opposed to going with RAID instead of AHCI and changing whatever other BIOS settings move away from GPT and then use BIBM and go old skool which has never failed me.
Yes, it's a lot of work. You are probably beyond caring now, but I think one answer to the implied question may be that Windows 11 couldn't be installed if you did that.
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

Yes, sir. I think I'd be 11-less :)

As it stands, now, Frederick helped me get a couple things sorted out, as did Brian. Now BIU is working like BING/BIBM of old, for me.
Last edited by Damion888 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I have Win11 installed on two recent computers, UEFI systems. BIU.
I have Win11 installed on two 10 year old computers. MBR systems. Third generation Intel CPUs. BIBM. Surprisingly, Win11 runs fine on these computers as long as the OS is on a SSD. It is dog if it's on a HD. I was able to compare HD and SSD installs on the same computer.

Running OS in UEFI systems is no more complicated than in MBR systems. It's just different. There is no more work to do with BIU than with BIBM.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:08 am
I have Win11 installed on two 10 year old computers. MBR systems.
That's interesting. I was under the impression Win11 had to be on a GPT disk.