Rough Time with BootIt UEFI and Windows 10

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Damion888

Rough Time with BootIt UEFI and Windows 10

Post by Damion888 »

Long time BING and BIBM User/Abuser :)

Thoroughly frustrated UEFI wannabe. I've got to be doing something wrong as I've read of others having success with UEFI and Windows 10. Lots of you 8-)

I've finally upgraded from my FX-8350 and equally seasoned Asus M5A97 from 1814...er, I mean 1914...2014. The years sure whiz by.

Anyway, new Asus ROG Strix B550A and Ryzen 5 5600x. Was trying to install Win10 fresh to my SSD from my old computer, keep the old Win10 data on there in it's partition, wipe out BIBM and install UEFI. All that went fine. UEFI install. Things got changed to GPT and BIU would be fine. Trying to install Windows is another proposition. There must be something in the UEFI BIOS or something I didn't set when making the BIU boot stick.

Here's the gist of what's happened over and over and over...(definition of insanity???)

Only SSD and BIU flash drive and W10 flash drive are connected.

Trying to install Windows 10 (I've viewed this video https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/video ... Ubuntu.wmv and read the manual, too):

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

"The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order...etc.." Click okay anyway. It starts to install, fails. Restart installation and delete the main partition and it runs all the way through all the check points of install and then says it can't reboot the computer: "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation." I run startup repair and it can't find any problems, it doesn't have anything to run on/against.

I swap out stick o ram and try different bank just in case it's hardware.
Boot Windows Setup again.
Now there are 2x 100MB System Partitions. One each from each attempted installation.
Drive 0 Part 1 100MB System
Part 2 16MB MSR (Reserved)
Part 3 same as 1
Part 4 931GB Primary
Deleting all, again.

Click next so Win10 can work it's magic. Fails...Windows could not prepare the computer to boot...restart installation.
Tried creating 931GB manually and it blows up
Error: 0x80300024

Delete the new 100MB again 8-) Click next so Windows can create the 931GB again. Letting it ride in case it was the RAM or the slots? Immediately before it can finish...finishing up: Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into....

Delete, delete, delete, reboot, retry BIU, retry Win10. Same as above repeats.

Tried using a brand new SSD (borrowed from work for the trial) and only used W10 installation media. Worked like a charm. Figured, okay, well, probably something wrong with my old ssd, though chkdsk showed no bad sectors or anything wrong. :cry:

Went to Microcenter and bought my own new ssd (got an M.2). Installed it. Things are working fine. I install BIU and go to install Win10 and all the same stuff happens with the brand new M.2 as with the old SSD.

What simple thing am I ignorant of...or two things!!! :lol:
TeraByte Support

Re: Rough Time with BootIt UEFI and Windows 10

Post by TeraByte Support »

Not sure if related, but EFI System partition of 100MB isn't large enough. If you plan on several OS's make it 1024MiB, or if a couple, make it 500MiB
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

I'm not allowed to respond :o Keep getting a Wordsafe/Wordfence 403 error: Block Technical Data

Maybe I'll remove all colons?!? :lol:
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

On the drive that I borrowed from work, and never installed BIU, here's what Windows 10 Pro Setup did:
EFI System 100MB
MS Reserved 016MB
NTFS basic data 450GB
Windows RE 509MB

On my new M.2 that won't install Windows, BIU creates:
EFI System 400MB and I change it to 1024MB as I'm thinking that'll do enough to dual boot with Windows 11
Sometimes it creates the 16MB Reserved, this time it didn't. Maybe it only does create it when I changed from MBR or EMBR to GPT??

This morning, I thought I would try both BIU and Windows again.
Windows gets to the Finishing Up stage in it's checklist and immediately I get
Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation.

Here's what it looks like right afterwards:
EFI System 1024MB
EFI System 100MB
MS Reserved 016MB
NTFS basic data 950GB

Windows always makes it's one EFI System: 100MB. This has been consistent whether I have a 400MB EFI System from BIU or I resize to 1024.
If I try to install Windows again, only wiping out the NTFS basic data, it will create yet another EFI System 100MB.

The two most discouraging parts are:
1. Obviously not being able to get BIU and Windows to work.
2. Maybe worse, is that I can't get my old SSD or my new M.2 back to a state where they'll take a Windows 10 install on them even though I've wiped all partitions. How can I get them back to a "brand new" state?

After work, today, maybe I'll try changing from UEFI to RAID. I should be able to get BIBM to work under that scenario, right?
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

That WordPress plugin didn't like all the colons in between the partition type and the size in all my examples.
EFI System: 1024MB
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Make sure the EFI System partition is an EFI System partition, make sure you're not hiding it from the install. Windows installer default is larger then 100MB
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

Used Image for UEFI to copy the whole drive borrowed from work to the M.2.

At least I have a working Windows 10 New Computer.

Just not using BIU :cry:

I'll probably reach out to support at some time here.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Damion888,

I checked my notes from over 3 years ago and I had a similar situation with BIU and Win10. I'd install BIU to a blank drive and then install Win10 to a partition created by the Microsoft installer. I'd finish up with 2 or 3 ESPs and Windows boot issues.
I tried a different approach. BIU was installed to a blank drive and then a NTFS partition was created in Partition Work. Win10 was installed into this partition. No further problems. No more multiple ESPs.

I think you were installing Win10 into a Microsoft created partition.
Damion888

Post by Damion888 »

Thanks, Brian. I can try that. If it works, that'd be great.
I do think I tried as much, at least a couple of times in all my failed attempts.
It's definitely worth another go at it. Though I seem to remember that Windows Installer, the partition section, would say that it couldn't use this partition. I'm going to try it again though. I could be "cross-polinizing" my memories of what I've tried :)
Cheers.
Frederick R

Post by Frederick R »

Hello Damion888,
Sometimes, depending on the UEFI/BIOS on the Motherboard can present problems when endeavouring to Install from a USB Flash Drive....so you need to have the relevant correct settings in the UEFI/BIOS....
First of all make sure the SATA and the USB Settings are correct.... In "SATA Configuration" (or similar) that the "RAID Mode" is disabled and in the "USB Configuration" that three core settings enable "Booting from the USB"....and they MUST be "enabled" (not in "auto")... these are: "Legacy USB Support", "XHCI Hand-off" and "USB Device Enable". Also the Settings in the "Boot Area" need to be correct also....so, in the "Boot" Section "Boot CSM" MUST be "Disabled"! In "Secure Boot" in the "OS Type" MUST be in "Other OS"! (After Windows is Installed, the "Other OS" needs to be changed to "Windows UEFI Mode"!)
Too, if the USB Port you've been using is faulty that will prevent a successful Install....that's why in any "new" system I "always" Install the OS from an Optical Drive....though I've found a "IFL Boot USB FD" (Image For Linux) to be much more successful than from a bootable CD.
Also the partitioning sequence is somewhat incorrect and missing a vital partition for the "Windows 10" Installation!
Please don't rely on the "Windows" (Microslop) Installer" to create your partitions! Though I have found BIU to be rather stable and reliable (to create and operate a Dual/Multi Boot System its "Work With Partitions" can encounter issues that cause it to hang! I therefore always use the "Work With Partitions" on my trusty (bootable) "IFL USBFD" to create the Partitions on the Storage Drive (I don't use SSDs, ANY electrical problem that they can experience can "wipe" the entire Drive rendering ALL data unrecoverable!)
('Seeing' other Partitions on the Drive can 'cause' a glitch in the "Windows (Microslop) Installer" and it then creates too many "EFI system partitions; when ONLY ONE should exist in ANY one PC System....and because there is another existing partition at the "head" of the drive, the "Installer" doesn't create the needed "Recovery" Partition! The following Partition 'sequence' I have found no problems Installing Windows 10....
1: Recovery....499MBs (in size).
2: EFI system partition.....(whatever size you like larger than 200MBs - I suggest) 1,042MBs. PLEASE NOTE: In the "Create Partitions Panel" there's only the options of creating 'usual' partitions, so use the "11/Bh:FAT-32", then once this partition has been completed, "Highlight" it, then Click on the "Properties" Button, (in the "Actions" section) and in this "Properties" Panel, Click the downward pointing arrow at the Right Hand of the "Type" Field and then choose the "EFI System" from the drop down list. Which will then 'configure' that partition with the necessary "Bootable FAT-32" Type!
3: Microsoft reserved partition......16MB [When designating the "Partition Type" for the Drive using TU's "Work With Partitions" into GPT, it automatically creates this partition at the 'head' of the Drive....to make things much easier, "Back it Up" (Image It with Image For Linux) on an External HDD; then 'erase' (delete) this one, and then, when you are creating the partitions for your Install, simply "Restore" it to the "Number 3 Microsoft reserved partition" position after you've finished creating the necessary partitions for the Install of the Windows OS!
4:OS....53,779MBs I'm suggesting this size because the "Installer" doesn't spread the files out, creating "File Fragmentation" right at the beginning, like it does within the much larger partitions....and also you could Image this as you progress with however you want to have configuration and Install of 'Base' Programs that you can use to create however many OS Partitions you might want to have in your Multi Boot System!
Please remember to have ONLY one "EFI system partition" (which is a "Bootable FAT-32") in ANY one "PC System"!
If you try the above....I'd like to 'know' the result, if you wouldn't mind? Even if you're still not successful???