BootIT 1.3 hangs

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
nemesis

BootIT 1.3 hangs

Post by nemesis »

Hello, after upgrading to v1.3 of BootiIT UEFI the BootIT interface freezes at times. Even the timer for auto select/boot freezes. Thus the system hads to be hard rebooted to get it operational again!

This is a huge problem, can you provide an update where this is resolved?
TeraByte Support

Re: BootIT 1.3 hangs

Post by TeraByte Support »

nothing changed in the software that would affect that.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hello,

I am extremely dissappointed in the reply.

1.30 as far as I know contains the fix for opening more file handlers in TBSScript. Which seems to be something that is fairly low level.

Furthermore, in al previous versions we've used the mouse did not function in BootIT when using it through iKVM, now it does. Which also indicates a change.

Just to be clear I'm posting this to receive support for a defect in the product! Random freezes. I do not really care if this is something new or something that's ben in BootIT for sometime. We've paid for the licenses and will be deploying 100s of machine with it also licensed.

We cannot ship a machine to customer which hangs every so often!

With kind regards,

Davy Vaessen (ICT)
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Just out of curiosity: You have hundreds of machines? Are they all identical? If not, does this behavior occur on all of them, several of them, or at least more than one of them.

I know nothing about this particular problem, but believe me, BIU is simply not reliable on some machines. I'm inclined to blame this more on those machines than on BIU, but either way BIU is not reliable on some machines, probably mostly older machines.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi Bob,

thnx for the reply. We currently have 5 machines over 2 locations. Three of which are older revisions and two of which are in their final state, these are identical. Hardware and frimware.

100s of these machines in this exact configuration will be deployed, they will be Identical. These machines are required to have an extremely low Mean time between failure.

We've been developing and testing the system for about 6 months now, never had an issue. Not ONCE has the BUI freezen on ANY of the machines.

This changed when we migrated to BootIT 1.30, no hardware changes or firmware changes have been performed as far as I know. I will make sure to validate this once again.

When reverting to the previous version of BootIT we're not able to reproduce the issue.

I get what you're saying but it doesn't fit what we're seeing. That doesn't make you wrong per say but it does make me sceptical.
TeraByte Support

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgra ... otit-uefi/

So unless you're using a real old version prior to the touch support being enabled (since that's all internal and wouldn't doubt something internal in firmware with timer used), there is no real changes. Maybe run a memory test using memtest86+ and then create a new boot disk on new media and reinstall to ensure no corruption. Check if you upgraded your firmware. If it's something with the touch support, you can send a support request and can check if a way to disable the new support.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

We were indeed using "Version 1.23 – May 20, 2021" which is a year old. Which for a bootloader, something you change only when required, that isn't old.

I will send an email to support and run a mem test on all machines.

I am extremely dissapointed in the way this is handled by terabyte though.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nemesis wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:05 pm Hi Bob,

thnx for the reply.
You certainly know as well as I that sometimes the most inexplicable things become very obvious if/when the cause is finally found, but I'm inclined to agree with you that it seems probable that there is "something different" in the software if the problem never occurred in the "previous version". However, until now I assumed the "previous version" was 1.29. No, you didn't say that. I just assumed it. There is a lot more opportunity for a not identified bug to have crept into 1 of 7 versions than 1 of 1 versions.

It certainly would be a major pain, but, at this point, I'd be tempted to try 1.24 then 1.25 then ..., but if the problem is intermittent that may be completely impractical in addition to a major pain.

I certainly understand your frustration, but I also somewhat understand Terabyte's inability to instantly fix something that may have been introduced in some one of seven versions and hasn't been reported by anyone else. The problem being intermittent goes both ways. How can they fix it if they can't reproduce it?

If your philosophy is "something you change only when required", and you are convinced the problem doesn't exist in 1.23, why not continue to use 1.23?

I'm still curious to know how many machines are known to have this problem.
TeraByte Support

nemesis wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:38 am We were indeed using "Version 1.23 – May 20, 2021" which is a year old. Which for a bootloader, something you change only when required, that isn't old.

I will send an email to support and run a mem test on all machines.

I am extremely dissapointed in the way this is handled by terabyte though.
Well, upgrading from 1.29 to 1.30 is what would be presumed and nothing changed in that area. As mention, if you had an old version prior to touch support being enabled, that would explain the mouse now working (some use that interface instead of the mouse interface) but also may be what is causing an issue because even back in the legacy BIOS days the BIOS internally used the timer port and could cause issue (until they fixed it). So you may want to actually try a firmware update.

I found that option to disable it: add touch=0 to the [options] section of bootit.ini

This is a user community forum not official support although we chime in from time to time. I see no support tickets for the issue.
TeraByte Support

Another way to disable the touch support is during the makedisk wizard.