Ubuntu install problems

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Ubuntu install problems

Post by Brian K »

Thanks. BIU Managed without a tick is correct.

Let's try creating a Boot Item for Ubuntu
Boot Edit
select your Win10 item and click Edit
make a note of the fields. Ubuntu will be the same except for Identity and Boot File. I assume Rename Directory has a tick.
click Cancel to return to Boot Menu - DEFAULT.BUM
click Add
Fill in the fields
for Boot File, click Browse
click the .. to select it, press Enter on the keyboard
scroll down to ubuntu.001
press Enter
select grubx64.efi
press Enter
the Boot File field will now show...
\EFI\ubuntu.001\grubx64.efi
click OK, OK, restart
Do you now have an Ubuntu boot item? Does it work?
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian - I just decided to start again from scratch. Will let you know how this turns out. Bob
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, when doing a Something Else install, install the Boot Manager files to the EFI system partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Did you have a problem finding the Boot File in my post above?
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian - I have decided to start over. Will let you know how this works.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian - I just realized everything was on a new page in the forum. Anyways, I reinstalled by creating /root and /home partitions in BIU, telling it to use BIU efi and then going back to the BIU menu and ctrl-alt-del. I installed Ubuntu EFI to the SYSTEM EFI and the others to the created BIU partitions. When you say the Boot Manager files do you mean the Ubuntu EFI or grub? I let grub install to the default. Anyway, now it won't boot into Ubuntu. I reactivated BIU and I can boot into Windows, but Ubuntu keeps going to the BIU menu. It is dinner time here so I will look at your answer in the morning. Thank you for your patience.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

Installing Ubuntu from Ventoy might give you a different result than installing from a dedicated Ubuntu UFD. I'm not sure.
Create a Boot Item and see if it works.

Grub should be installed to the EFI System partition. The default is somewhere else but it seems to work anyway.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Brian - I started from scratch yet again. I went into BIU and deleted ubuntu under the efi SYSTEM, and the previously created partitions and rebooted into Windows to make sure all was well. I then went into BIU and into maintenance mode and ctrl-alt-del into a flash drive with only Ubuntu 20.04 on it. (No Ventoy.) I installed Ubuntu, rebooted, and reactivated BIU. No Ubuntu in menu. I went into maintenance mode and followed your description above to create a menu item. It worked as you said with one minor exception .. my ubuntu folder was just ubuntu not ubuntu.001. It now boots into Ubuntu and I can update it, etc. The laptop is an HP 17-3053cl purchased from Costco about 18 months ago. Anyway I have a booting system now. I'm curious why the menu item wasn't ever created, but will not lose any sleep over it. One other thing different subject but might be easy, my Logitec wireless mouse doesn't work in BIU. I have to use the mouse pad. Thank you for your assistance. Bob
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

Great news. It's working.
I don't know why you don't have an ubuntu.001 folder. In my computers, an ubuntu folder becomes an ubuntu.xxx folder after a reboot.

Out of interest, in the Boot Item for Win10, does the Boot File show \Microsoft.001\ or \Microsoft\
Do you have a tick in Rename Directory in each Boot Item?
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

I don't have her computer handy, but yes, I had a Microsoft.001and I know I had a tick in the Rename for Windows ... don't remember for Ubuntu. I THINK so, but ... On my laptop, I have several Ubuntu's because I've done a couple of Linux Mint reinstalls and switched from Linux Mint to Ubuntu. I now know how to delete those if I wish. Let me add, when I cleaned everything off before this install there was a ubuntu folder...not ubuntu.001. Thanks again for your help.