Should IFW be uninstalled first before updating?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
PsychBiller

Should IFW be uninstalled first before updating?

Post by PsychBiller »

IFW is frequently updated, which is wonderful. Should I uninstall the product and then install the new update each time, or can I just install the update over top?
Bob Coleman

Re: Should IFW be uninstalled first before updating?

Post by Bob Coleman »

I always install over the top. Been doing that for years with no issues.
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Thanks, Bob.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

I will echo what Bob Coleman said. Over the past several years (though this wasn't always the case) IFW's updating is THE smoothest I've encountered with any piece of software I own. The current update retains all the settings from the previous update (unless you explicitly decide to change them), so you can pretty much just keep clicking the NEXT button during the update and your latest version will have all your previous settings. If you're uncomfortable blindly accepting each update screen, make a backup copy of the current version's folder before you start the update process. I used to do that on a regular basis, but now I rarely bother (unless I'm skipping over multiple versions when I do the update). Even when I've bothered to make the backup folder, I can't think of a time when I've needed to revert back to the previous version because of a problem with the update (I think it happened once about 4 or 5 years ago, but I can't remember why that was necessary).
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Thank you, Muad'Dib. It's good to hear from other users' experiences.