BIOS Issue Upgrading Trial to Full Version

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
banisco

BIOS Issue Upgrading Trial to Full Version

Post by banisco »

I installed the trial version ISO to kick the tires on an old Gateway Pentium III and it appeared to work fine for my needs; the BIOS displays the correct size for my WD Blue 500GB SSD under Maintenance/Partition Work:

My problem is upgrading to the full version. I've used the Uninstall menu option to remove the trial version, but now when I boot from the full version ISO installer my only options are to Upgrade:

Yet it can't find a valid HD0 partition to install to, and I ultimately wind up back at the Upgrade menu. Running Maintenance/Partition Work shows a tiny HD0 partition under the BIOS:

(Hard to tell from the photo, but all the top options to play with the Drive Settings/MBR are disabled)

The Trial version seems to work fine after uninstall; I can re-install/re-activate and the BIOS shows the correct SSD size, and all the Drive Settings/MBR options are enabled. In a nutshell, it seems like the Full version is reading the BIOS differently than Trial version? (Both are v1.77 that I downloaded today.) Any suggestions?
Brian K

Re: BIOS Issue Upgrading Trial to Full Version

Post by Brian K »

banisco,

Can you see all your drives (including the UFD) if you use BIOS Bus instead of BIOS (direct)?

How many internal drives do you have?
banisco

Post by banisco »

Hello Brian,

With the full ISO installer, I get the following startup error on boot:

Using Maintenance/Partition Work and changing the Bus from BIOS (direct) to just BIOS mode doesn't seem to affect anything - same view either way, can only see the BOOTITBM 3MB partition:

The above view is of the same drive after I partitioned it using the trial version, which works fine? Below is the same drive using the installed Trial version Partition Work:

BIOS:

BIOS (direct):

I only have the one SSD drive in the system, a 500GB WD Blue SSD that is connected to a SATA->IDE adapter (system is an old Gateway PIII circa 2001). There are two IDE DVD/CDROM drives as well on the second IDE adapter:

I used the Makedisk utility to burn a BootIt CD for install for both Trial and Full versions of the software, so no UFD is involved.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

probably because your bios isn't supporting HD emulation booting. You'll need to create two CD's, one with disk imaging enabled, scripting disabled and another one with scripting enabled and disk imaging enabled, then install from both.
banisco

Post by banisco »

Problem solved - thanks for the help!